1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowdogg ex80 junk

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bermracing, Feb 2, 2016.

1. bermracing

bermracing Junior Member

Have to put this out there. I have been in the snow removal business for over 28 years we have a fleet of over 30 trucks. Over the years we have used blizzard, fisher, boss and western. At the end of last season we decided to buy 1 snowdogg ex80 and i have to say IMO they are junk for commercial use. The mount for a chevy hd 2500 sits way to low on the truck, we had bent the A frame and truck mount on the first 6" storm cap we hit even with the trip springs set very light. The cutting edge is a pain in the ass to change as the ss mold board curls up and shifts around as soon as you loosen the bolts. We did a once over before use and 2 hours into plowing the light bar came loose and was hanging off, the jack fell off a few times, the lights refuse to hold position no matter how tight we make them, the hydraulics becom sluggish about 8 hours into plowing. This plow has been nothing but a head ache with a lot of down time. I would not recommend this plow to any commercial contractor. What a mistake. Just ordered a new western wideout to replace it.

2. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

6th year with our ex85 with wings. Other than a lift ram packing problem it's been flawless on our 2500 Chevy. Mount is low but I'd hate to see what you guys are doing with that truck to bend what you did. Yikes. We run boss v plows also. Def think boss is tougher but you pay for it. As far as the jack goes, I don't know anyone that really trusts that jack holder. I toss it in the truck. I'd say the wide out will be a better plow. Sweet looking plows and look built well to boot.

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

And I got the xls looks better built then the wide out
    More reinforcement on the backside
    As far as snow dogs all local dealer stopped selling them because the are not commerical grade and don't last

4. bumpy

bumpy Junior Member

4th year here on EX80. I share the same views as snowcrazy. Other than a cutting edge and spring cages on the plug, I haven't had any trouble with mine. I agree the mount hangs low on my 2500 truck also but, most of what your saying sounds like lack of or improper assembily or maintainance to me!

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a SaltDogg UTG spreader and they too, are junk. Anything but commercial grade.

There's a reason they're cheaper than other products.

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I put a md 80 on my wifes new chevy 1500.I tried it out for an hour or so and it plowed good,didn't scrape good but then I realized I left the shoes on :eek: I would never run one of these as a front line plow,jmho.I run boss v,blizzard 810,fisher mc and fisher xls. there is no comparision in build quality.And I'm not just comparing to the md. that is not meant to be a heavy commercial plow. But they are cheap and have a place in the market.I think if price is an issue I'd cherry pick a nice used major brand plow.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I know their are a lot of diehard Snowdoggy guys here and I'll respect there decision to own one.....but I'll never respect the brand.

8. leigh

from CT

I hear you, I feel the same way about Ford's:eek:

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I saw a new Sno dog V plow all bent to snot a few years back and knew after looking it over that they are the Chinese knockoff of snowplows. Complete waste of hard earned money. I hate the mounting system of my Fishers, but at least they don't bend like tinfoil.

10. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Same here. Anyway, I still say someone has to be doing something damn stupid to hurt one. we have put our ex85 through the paces and flawless. with the wings this thing really carries a lot of snow. we have stacked piles ppl couldn't believe were done with a plow truck and not a loader and not once let us down. It has held up great right along side our boss plows. don't get me wrong, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see our boss plows are heavier duty but a lot of that is overkill in my opinion. Just gotta use your head a bit. I have a very good group of guys running my three trucks and we never have issues with any of our boss or snowdogg plows. I had another md snow dogg on my last 1/2 ton. if it weren't hooked to a ford it could have shown up to the storms and worked but nope. in my small town, my two biggest competitors run snow dogg plows. never a problem. They do admire my boss plows though.

IMG_20131218_125759564.jpg

IMG_20131218_132120311.jpg

11. Mark Oomkes

Weren't you the one that said you only plow 2-3 times per year?

We can do that in 36 hours. Or less.

Maybe they're fine for occasional users.

12. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Lol funny. Last year we broke records in Cincinnati areas and nearly did that two years before that. This plow has tackled plenty of 10"+ storms zero problems. Off your off horse u go. Lol I said in a slow winter we can have 2-3 pushes. Geez

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Never had a problem with mine at all. Granted, I don't like how low the mount hangs when the blade is not on, and the mounting system itself sucks, but the plow has never let me down plowing commercially. I also believe the stainless is heavier than Western and Fisher's. 12 gauge vs. 14.

14. Mark Oomkes

How many pushes do you average.

15. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

. I absolutely hated the mounting system at first but it's gotten to be a snap. Only took 4 years or so to get good at it. Lol. Mount hangs low for sure but has never given us problems. Our local town truck (f450 dumps) have run snow dogs for years. Love them. Not sure how much more abuse you can hand one than that type of use. They love them. They got those a year before I got mine and after hearing them hoot and holler about them I bought one. Glad I did. Being a boss owner also I personally don't care which ones I but next. Like I said you gotta really do something dumb to hurt one.

16. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Well last year was 16 but very odd to get that many. My first year I never set the blade down. Not taking this year into consideration I have averaged 9 push able but a lot of those storms are multiple pushes 2" triggers. So let's just round to 10 pushes per year (actually more because of multiple push storms. That's 50 plow nights without a hiccup. Nothing broke nothing bent. That plow has made its money over ten fold and will continue to with common sense drivers

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  17. leigh

from CT

Can't argue with success! All we can do is weigh the options/pros and cons and make our own informed decisions.Glad it worked out or you.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's kool..

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Very well worded statement. I just get aggravated as hell when I keep hearing that "you get what you pay for" crap. For example, if you went and priced a new F350 at a dealer, and he gave you a quote of 65K out the door, and then you went to a different dealer and priced out the exact same truck down to every single option, and got a 2500.00 price difference, do you go back to the initial dealer and buy that truck, because if you're paying more you must be getting a better truck? Of course not.

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The statement means you buy quality, you get quality.
    You go buy a Ford, you get quality. You go buy a GM product, you get a GM product. You buy a RAM, you get a psychological evaluation. You buy a Tundra, you get a flaming cross on your lawn.