1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblowing + shoveling how much to ask for

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mattsplowing, Jan 5, 2003.

1. mattsplowing

mattsplowing Junior Member

I am part of a 2 man team that has around 20 driveways and i do some steps but mostly i snowblow. I use a machine that is my own. We get 15 to 20 a driveway for under 6 inches and for the last few storms we got 30. How much should i ask from my employer for an hour. He pays for gas and drives me to the sites. I do as much work as he does
  2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I would try to come up with a per driveway rate.
    I would also say that you guys are cheap. Does $20 bucks for a driveway include shoveling stairs and snow blowing walks?
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I do not know anyone around here that would do a drive, walk and stairs for 20-30 dollars.
  4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I too think 15-20 per drive is too cheap. We have a $25.00 minimum charge, and to do a small driveway, and sidewalk we charge $25-30 per visit. I have a guy doing some of my small driveways, he uses his Ford Ranger, but my snowblower, and I pay for all the gas. I give him $15/hr.
  5. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I know the guy I work for around here pays the people that shovel and snowblow(i snowblow/plow) $12/$15 hr. I get more sense i do plowing as well.
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Let me try and ask this question. Snowblower, shovel, plow, whatever....

If you had to give a price on a paved or concrete driveway that could fit 4 cars (a 4 car driveway) for clearing it with 3" of snow on it, what would your price be? No sidewalks included in the price. Just a price for the driveway.

My price would be $40 - $50.

Maybe answering this question will once again show how diverse pricing is around the US and Canada. I know there are variables, so read it like I wrote it, and give a general price. Don't go into seasonal pricing. A one time push (or shovel, or blower) price, regular customer.

Anyone? :confused:

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

$25-$35,i know you said no variables,so i assume there is plenty of room to pile and stack snow,i have one drive now,about 100' straight in to a 2 car garage(drive is one lane at best)and i'm already running out of room and it can't go across the street because it's the middle of the village,not to mention it turns out i seriously underbid this one because i end up doing a ton of shoveling to get what the plow can'y,anyways i know better next year!
  8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

For that drive, no shoveling, if I can bill them & get them to mail check, $25.00. In and out in 2 minutes. If I have to stop to get paid on the spot, $35.00 or $40.00. Because it would then be 10 -15 minutes with the "how's it going? How are the roads? etc. etc.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Probably $20. And I'm high for this area. I've lost every bid where they take the lowest bid (public and government buildings etc). I get the places where they want service, special conditions etc.
  10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

What you need to figure out, and I lack the snowblower experience to have any kind of handle on it--is how much it's costing you to run your own machine per hour. It cost you X number of dollars and it's going to last X number of hours, with X number of dollars put into repairs and maintenance. Obviously those answers will vary greatly depending on the size and quality of your snowblower. Then you do the math.

Figure that out and that's the rate per hour you need to charge before you're no longer working for *free*.
  11. MLB

MLB Senior Member

plus your labor.
  12. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

How big are the driveways you're plowing and then I'd probably ask the customer first for a price increase steadily over like the next 32 years.