1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblowing / shoveling driveways... Unprofessional?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JDiepstra, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What do you guys think about operators who have to drive to their customers house, get out, unload their equipment, fill their snowthrower with gas, get it started, make tons of passes, reload their snowthrower, and sweat thier you know whats off in their truck between houses?

Seems like a rinky-dink operation to me. Not to mention a huge waste of time. I also think a plow with a good edge can clear a drive much more clean then a snowblower can. Seems like the sort of operation that just can't afford a real plow.

2. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

some customers probably would rather not have huge snowbanks and the potential for damaged lawn and got with someone who snowblows. more power to that person doing the work tho, i like the warmth of a truck myself.

3. JDiepstra

Good points.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I like to stay in my truck

5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

no its not unprofessional. The lawn guy does it right? You do good with what you got to do it with. Actually a snowblower can do a much better job than a plow can

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

A guy who snowblows a drive isn't necessarily unprofessional.

There are those who snowblow who are professional, and those who are unprofessional.

There are those who plow with a pickup who are professional, and those who are unprofessional.

There are those who plow with a skid steer who are professional, and those who are unprofessional.

There are those who plow with a 10 wheeler (municipal) who are professional, and those who are unprofessional.

There are those who plow with a loader and pusher who are professional, and those who are unprofessional.

The list goes on and on. Your choice of equipment isn't what makes a person professional/unprofessional. It's how we operate that equipment, maintain it, treat our customers, etc, etc, etc.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Does he get the job done to the customer's satisfaction? That's all that counts.

9. JDiepstra

All good points guys. But I did get a good chuckle when I saw that my post was just above a semi-related post in the "new posts". :D

10. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

So what about the guys like Jon Geer on her who has a $30,000 +/- snow blower for driveways?
    Don't be jealous that he is smart.

11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

:nod:

Looking at your sig you list a snowblower and a shovel.............hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

12. JDiepstra

Yes my truck doesn't fit on some of the sidewalks at my commercial properties. Not rocket science.

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

When I read this thread, I'm getting like some sorta deja vu feeling or something...

14. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

So do you have to unload it and gas it up then too :confused:

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't you just say that?

Re: OPs question I mean, yeah, sort of. For sure. I am professional grade. Like my truck.

I have more money tied up in my stereo than he has in a snowblower. Plus there's the lift kit, Rockstars, Nottos, Hypertech programmer, custom dual exhaust, CAI, all those KC Daylighters, 87 flashing strobes, LEDs, rotating beacon, I mean, when I show up, I look cool. You hear me, see me, and pay me. I don't really care about ripping up the lawn. I try to lift the blade at the edge of the lawn, but you know, I have to adjust my XM radio and stuff. And I'm fast. Two minutes and I'm done. That'll be thirty bucks. I don't really care about those little old ladies shovelling, they can call their grandkids or something

But whatever. If you can go out wiht a blower in the back of your Ridgeline, whatever dude.

16. JDiepstra

You are the only one who has gotten it so far.......

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  18. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I know a lot of people with some real fancy stamped concrete driveways that would never let anyone drop a blade on it. The real pro would use a shovel or blower for those customers.

19. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

No I use a 7.5' Daniels pull plow with a urethane edge on it. Snowblower would take too long unless it was a tractor style like blomwerman and Neige.

20. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

just a question here, how long does everyone think it takes to do 2 inches of shovelling on a two lane driveway, and front sidewalk? bet few people get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.