1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblowing rates for townhomes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kitzy, Sep 13, 2003.

1. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

Hello folks. I was referred here from Lawnsite and would sincerely appreciate some info. We are primarily a landscape and lawn maint company. Last year we did a few commercial properties for snowblowing entrances and sidewalks. We choose not to do snowplowing as we dont have heavy enough trucks. I did a search here and couldn't find anything on rates for snowblowing. I did visit this site last year with a similar ? but not much response..and I realize this is primarily a snowplow site.

One of our residential townhome customers has asked me if we would do her and 6 of her neighbors. I have no idea how to price this work. THe driveways are 2 cars wide, 2 cars in length. Each has a sidewalk of about 30 feet. No other shoveling required.

COuld you give me some ideas on how to price these? We have both single and 2 stage blowers so even if we get a foot of snow, we could do them in one visit. THanks in advance for any help you're willing to provide....forgot to mention we are in central PA if that matters
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i dont think your gonna get very much money for those town since someone with a snowplow will probably charge 50 for the plow and 30 for the sidewalk and it will take the less time so you might take a beaten call some plow companies and see what their charging for driveways that size and go from there.
    good luck

3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I agree

You need to find out what plowers charge in your area . You can then see what you could charge
  4. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

yes I know....I just hate calling other companies and "pretending" to be a prospective customer...I know I dont like it when people do that to me. I usually can tell when I'm getting my chain pulled after I ask a couple ?'s
  5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Have someone else call them then:D
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hi Gar?

Don't pretend. Talk to some local guys doing that work. Some may not share any info, but just like these message boards you will find plenty who are willing to share & network with other local contractors. While us snowplowers may blast through those drives much quicker than you for a higher profit margin, we won't do it with the quality you will with the blowers. Use that in your marketing to those folks. You also don't have as much overhead to cover plows & wear & tear on the plow trucks, so you will still be able to make a decent profit vs snow plowers IMO. Good luck!
  7. KL3

KL3 Junior Member

Make sure you charge more than a snowplower would.
    It is worth it to some customers.
    If I gave my customers a choice, almost all of them would pick snowblower.
    I snowplowed for a couple of years, about 20 years ago. If you only have a few jobs it's not bad but the more you have the harder it is.

Charge enough for a premium service.
  8. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

agreed on the premium service = premium price. The reason I wanted to get out of the few commercial snow blows we had last year was becuase you have to stay "on call" like a volunteer firefighter . And unlike the land/lawn biz, we have to show up asap as soon as the snow stops. More I think about it I must be nuts to get more into it for what might me less than a $1000 all winter...but then it might be a lot more if this one is like last winter......but this customer has been such a good one and is a very nice person, I can't say no to doing her and her neighbors....thanks for the info guys
  9. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

It's snow throwing. not snow blowing.The machine doesnt blow the snow, it throws it.A leaf blower blows, a snow thrower throw's...I wish people could start using the proper term for it.No offense.

It is also companies out there that sell the units that also use the incorrect term for them.Show me a snow thrower that blows, no single or two stages produces any wind velocity to prove that it blows snow.The auger takes it in then throws it out,ofcoarse the cheap single stages with the lawn mower wheels may look like it is blowing it out, but it too is alos throwing it out.
  10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You may be right, but who cares? Everyone calls it a snowblower and thats what it will always be called. You havent been on here long, but so far it seems all you do is type negative stuff that is of no help to the original thread question. Im sure many others here would agree. Come down off that highhorse. :D Mike
  11. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Please explain exactly what this negative stuff I am typing here at plowsite?
  12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

hmm I can think of a few things

comeon and show a little more respect for the newbies and the senior members. I come here to enjoy not to listen to some bs meandering, if I wanted that I would go to the bar down the road.

13. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Mike 97 SS - I had a good laugh when I read your post!:D

Kitzy - I would suggest that you walk one of the driveways and walkways to get a good estimate on time. Then plug in your hourly rate and multiply by the number of units. In my opinion the best way to bid this type of work is to walk through it like your doing the work.

Good luck on this snowblowing bid :nono: - I mean snow throwing proposal. :p

Chuck B.
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Warning: Big Brother is watching!

I see a number of quotes that come from a thread that had to be locked down, let's not head down the same road!
  15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im glad you got a kick out of it. :) I was just typing what I felt, thats all. I guess I am funny without even trying to be? :D Mike
  16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

locked down thread ?

What is a locked down thread ? Is there a locked down thread listing ?
  17. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

2 cars long & 2 cars wide & sidewalks?

$25 per.

You should be able to do all 6 in an hr if they are side by each w/2 man & 2 single stages.

These type of drives can be done much faster & cleaner w/blowers.
  18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

BWhite, a locked down thread means one that was locked from anyone else being able to reply to it. A thread that may have turned sour or people started to argue, a moderator would step in and lock it and no one can reply anything else to it. You would see a lock symbol over the envelope picture also where you click on the thread name. There was a thread locked the other day in this forum, actually 2. Mike
  19. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

after reading you guys advice and talking to a guy here in town who was willing to share info, I bid 6 of them at $30 each. $30 buys them UP TO15 minutes of "throwing"...enough time to easily "throw" these...or in this case should it be "blow" these...hah...then its $2 per minute for any handwork where the machine can't go.
    BTW , you guys crack me up!!!....some of you are as cranky with each other as we are over at Lawnsite. Thanks again for your help...much appreciated...

Am I permitted to ask what a used snowblower is worth? Or is that a no no since we don't want the site to turn into an Ebay......Older guy wants to sell me a 3 year old Yardman 8 hp 2 stage(yes i know this isn't exactly a Toro or Honda...but I need a backup and this will be ok for that...I'm thinking $400 is a reasonable offer???
  20. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Two Words.

Snow Commander.

You can make more $$$ w/less investment w/these units on those types of drives.