1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblowing piles with a walkbehind

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BC Handyman, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Hello all, I'm wondering if there is a walkbehind snowblower that will/can blow snowpiles that have been sitting for 1-2 weeks. I'm sick of turning down or subing out snow relocation jobs. Sorry if it's too long for some of you.

what I'm doing
    I got the opertunity to bid a small parking lot, its about 4000sqft but since it is so small it needs to have the snow removed off site after every couple snowfalls. These will be small piles & they wont pay for snow relocation every snowfall so who knows how long they will have to sit inbetween storms.
    I dont have a loader,skidsteer or dumptruck, I've always subed it out when I need those equitment, so I cant make $ when I sub it out. I dont have alot of $ for equitment either right now.
    My queston & plan
    I want to start doing snow reloacation & since this is a small lot I hope this is possable, so I can make $ to buy equitment like a skidsteer. I want to load a dumping pickup(3/4-1ton) with a walkbehind snowblower. My queston is: is there a walkbehind that is strong enough to chew through old/sitting plowed snow piles. I got 2-5k to invest in a snowblower. If I know there is a big thaw/freeze coming I would go out to remove so that I'm not trying to go through solid ice. Has anyone removed old/sitting plowed piles with a walkbehind?
    the old(1972) blower I got would not do it. I'm hoping with serated blades and lots of power/weight it could be done. Thanks for input
  2. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

Why would yot want to use a walk behind blower to do that sounds like you would be there for a while. Just because the outside of a snowpile is soft the center of the pile probly still frozen and your never going to get all the snow you can blow to land in the back of a truck it will over shoot or miss I would recomend the option of renting a skidsteer.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

How much snow do you guys get out there? It's a fair amount, isn't it? I think you'd be better off still subbing the hauling - you have to make sure you're charging your customer enough to cover the costs of the work plus a profit for yourself. Theory is, if they can't pay it, you can't move it.
  4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I agree that you should charge enough to relocate the snow and sub it out.

A snow blower is not going to load a pickup dump insert the way a leaf vac loads up a trailer or truck.

If you can't do the work because you don't have the equipment then don't bid the job.

If you can sub out the work your equipment can't do, good sub out, but the customer has to be charged.

If your afraid the customer will not pay what you have to charge then walk away before you lowball yourself into a money losing bid.

Experience has shown those customers always looking for a contractor is that their other contractors have gone out of business from not charging enough. And, knowledgeable contractors won't touch these customers because they will not work cheap. Plus these cheapo's will drop you next year for someone that will charge them only a few dollars less.