1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblowing or Snowthrowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I didn't want to take the original thread this discussion started in off topic, so I started a new thread.

Where to start?

Lets see, a single stage unit uses an auger to route snow to the center of the auger that has a flat section, or paddle, which "throws" the snow out a chute.

A two stage unit has a set of two augers, that route snow to the center of the auger housing where it is sucked into the impeller housing by the impeller which in turn "blows" it out the chute.

An impeller is basically a fan. The difference is that the vanes are not curved, because the impellers on snowblowers are designed to move a solid (snow) not a gas (air). If you were to engage the auger/impeller drive on a two stage unit, and placed your hand over the discharge chute, you would feel the air blowing out. Not at the same velocity, or cfm as a leaf blower, but, that is due to design. Leaf blowers are designed to move a high cfm, thus the curve of the impeller blades on a leaf blower.

If you look into the front of say an 8hp walk behind leaf blower, you will see the impeller (fan). It does not look like the ceiling fan in your house, or the radiator fan in your truck, because it is actually more of an impeller, not a fan. Some owner's manuals call it a fan, and some an impeller.

If you were to replace the front cover, and add a different discharge chute, you could use it as a leaf loader, to put leaves in a truck. Same impeller. In that case, the impeller is moving a solid (leaves) and not just a gas (air). The vanes create a suction, that draws the solid into the vanes, which in turn "blow" the solid up the discharge chute.

Main Entry: [1]fan
    Pronunciation: 'fan
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English fann, from Latin vannus —more at WINNOW
    Date: before 12th century
    1 : any of various devices for winnowing grain
    2 : an instrument for producing a current of air: as a : a device for cooling the person that is usually shaped like a segment of a circle and is composed of material (as feathers or paper) mounted on thin rods or slats moving about a pivot so that the device may be closed compactly when not in use b : a device that consists of a series of vanes radiating from a hub rotated on its axle by a motor

Sounds like an impeller to me.

Main Entry: im·pel·ler
    Variant(s): also im.pel.lor /im-'pe-l&r/
    Function: noun
    Date: 1685
    1 : one that impels
    2 a : a rotor located in a conduit to impart motion to a fluid

Impellers were designed initially to move fluids. All plow pumps have an impeller inside, that moves the fluid, and creates pressure.

In a nutshell, an impeller can move a solid, a liquid, or a gas, depending on design. The size of the discharge orfice will regulate the pressure at which it leaves the impeller housing or pump body.

IMO a unit with an auger only (single stage) is a snow thrower. A unit with an impeller (two stage) is a snowblower.

I can understand why the engineers that invented / designed / manufactured these two different types of units assigned the names that they did.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

snow thrower snow blower

i guess im too busy to worry about what they call it

i only care that it starts when i pull the rope

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

WE have always called it a snowblower,does it make a difference what it's called as long as it works and clears snow.But I guess technically it does throw the snow,With the wind blowing it ;)
  4. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Okay this is how I see it.When i start my Leave Blower it starts blowing air out of it and moving objects that are light around.when I start my Sno Thrower and put it in gear and engage the auger it is collecting up what is in its path and throwing it out the chute.My Snow Thrower Ariens even calls it's units Sno- Thro.

While the snow is being thrown and if wind starts coming it tends to blow around the snow making a blizzard like appearance.So why don't we all just settle on its a machine that can simulate a small blizzard.

Oh by the way Chuck I am not trying to argue with you, then again you are most likely smart enough to know that.I originally wrote snow throwing not snow blowing as a satire point of view.It's just there are some people here that just don't understand certain postings because their mind cannot distinguish interpretations too well.

Bottom line call it what you want, snow blower , snow thrower I can care less.As long as the thing starts and does its job then everyone's happy right????

Well at least I learned that there are some people here that cannot process information correctly and to be more in depth when posting something.

Anyway Chuck you seem to have involved yourself very deeply into this topic with your detailed point of view.Thanks for the insight and contributing your 2 cents worth.
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ill call mine a Gas powered, Portable, wheeled, snow removing machine. That way no one will question my blowing or throwing of snow.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 Banned

:drinkup: lol:drinkup:
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Snow blower or snow thrower who really cares? Everyone will agree that as long as it will remove snow then it can be called anything. Ive always called them snow blowers so sue me. there better then snow shovels and not as good as snowplows.
  8. Santo

Santo Banned

9. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I call my Gravely ma210 a snow cannon!! since it will put snow 50 feet from where you are standing. Jay will soon be a owner of one oct 18 ;) :drinkup:
  10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Santo, WAKE UP! No sleeping on the job. ;) Walt, why is Jay getting one and I am not? I thought we were buddies?? Mike pumpkin:
  11. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

You never said the magic word Mike!!:drinkup: :drinkup:
  12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

dont matter to me, but items listed as a "snowblower" on e-bay get more hits then "snowthrower"
  13. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I would have to agree with you snowjoker, my 566 will throw snow from my driveway up over my Ranch and into the backyard!! Jay will be amazed at how far that Gravely will throw snow with the engine just at an idle.
  14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Man now I really can't wait to try this bad boy out. I wanna bury my PITA neighbors so we don't have to see them until April :)

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Jay when your done burying your PITA neighbors could you come and bury my PITA neighbors?:D
  16. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

My single stage, tractor mounted blower does indeed move air from the chute. Then again, the characteristics of the expelled snow is more that of being thrown and not blown. I believe the factory paperwork on the attachment does label it as a "snowthrower".