1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblowing job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by adam5557, Nov 2, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i got a quick question.I was offered a job doing walkways for a snow plowing company by me. It pays 12 an hour using his equipment or 15 an hour using my equipment and my gas money.any comments also this would be for me and my friend using one truck and two snow blowers.thanks
  2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Where you located in Michigan ??

My thoughts on your question ..... First it's probably not a bad deal except the payment part, I have to pay the guy that helps do my sidewalks at least $ 15.00, and he rides with me and uses my equipment. If your buddy is involved do you have to split the hourly rate ??
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Low. If I had to choose, I'd take 12/hr using his equipment.
  4. adam5557

adam5557 Member

In troy and we would be making 15 an hour each using our equipment.thanks
  5. westwind

westwind Member

Take the 12.payup payup
  6. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Can any of you guys tell me if i am getting ripped off cause i have heard some of you guys pay 20 an hour?thanks
  7. Good

I think thats pretty good, but I would DEFinentally use THEIR equiptment and get $12. In Grand Rapids, people get paid $12 hr to shovel, i would rather snow blow for 12
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah jesus $15hr using your truck, fuel, snowblower wtf? haha

$12hr to hire/contract someone out to help isnt bad, but i have $2000+ snowblowers and drive around using my truck, insurance, gas in the snowstorms to clear out driveways, i wouldnt work with my equipment for under $40 an hour unless someone offered me a ton of work or something. Even if you have cheap equipment id say nothing under $20 if your desperate. On average i do driveways upto $85 and do them in under an hour easy, can do 2-3 $35+ driveways per hour usually.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just my opinion, but do what you want. If you're happy with $12 an hour, go for it. Don't worry about what "everybody else" gets. This might build into a lucrative business for you. As you go along, you'll adjust your expectations and develop expertise, business skills etc.
  10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I agree with Mick. If you are going to get 15/hr using your own blower you might as well walk around your neighbor hood charging $50-75/ driveway.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

firstclass, how reliable are those shovelers?

Personally, I think $15 using his equipment is more reasonable. I'd have a hard time getting out of bed to work in crappy weather, possibly long hours, shoveling or blowing. JMO
  12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I've got a better idea, considering this is America. Take the $12/hr and kick ass. Work like an animal, do the best job you can and then ask for more money. Just get started and do it like it is your own business and it will be your business soon enough. Prove yourself, then buy your own equipment and then sub and get your own accounts.

Best wishes for a profitable winter.
  13. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

You'll burn more than $3.00 in gas in your blower in one hour. Safe bet here is using his equipment. Better bet is getting the $15 an hour using his equipment. Best bet is $20 per hour, using his equipment. The shovelers around these parts make $15/hr minimum but, they also shovel at least one shovel width away from any curbs making it easier on the plow trucks.
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How many hours work does he have for you? Say it is 10 hours. That would be $120 with his stuff or $150 with yours. Do you think you would be able to find 6 driveways for $25 in your neighbourhood in that same 10 hours. Even if they take 30 minutes each, that is 3 hours. Just a thought.
  15. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

If you're working, you should be getting 20/hr for steady work. If you're figuring time riding in a truck or whatever, then average it out. I think 17/hr might ok.

I had 10 accounts for two years until last year I had enough of the switch and biatch. So I dumped the accounts and bought a plow.

Good Luck
  16. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

I agree go with the $12 & use his equipment. Good Luck
  17. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Yea i have few driveways me and my friend do on are own and then when i am done i am going to work for a company to earn some extra cash.thanks guys