1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Nov 6, 2008.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

What are you guys using for snowblowers? This is my year searching for quality commercial snowblowers but i know i want a battery start one, not one that i have to plug in order to start, those are a pain in the a$$. Also, how do you guys load and unload them off of the pick-up trucks?
  2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

well its a catch 22, most real commercial ones wont be battery.. since the batteries die every year when theyre in storage, too much upkeep. A good snow thrower should start on 1-2 pulls no matter what size walkbehind.

We use 24 and 32" models that are all pull start or electric 120v. Ive used the electric before just for kicks, turns over FAST, i mean way faster than any 12v would start it, but its not needed at all. I guess you could use it if something was wrong with it and didnt want to keep pulling the starter rope.

I know a lot of guys use those tiny toros, for our stuff its just too small, but we also have the problem of trying to unload 250+lb snow thowers out of the pickup trucks while a spreader is on the back. We are getting custom mounts made this year to have a small platform that the blowers will sit on behind the truck and just behind the spreader :)

Middle model simplicity 24-28" wide models are in the $1200-1600 range, the pro series commercial stuff mainly that i use are generally $1650-$2500 depending on engine size and width. They eat snow like no tomrorow for walkbehinds and are very reliable.
  3. sherwin

sherwin Member

Agree the small stuff you can't beat the single stage Toro's. For a 2 stage the Simplicity commercial are real nice, the Toro's are nice too and the chute is controlled by a joystick thats real slick. We picked up a couple of Hondas 2 years ago and they work great, no bells and whistles, just solid and start everytime. The tracked ones are really not needed and they will tire you out so stick with wheels, you can always put chains on. We made up mounts that go on the receiver hitch, or some aluminum ramps work fine for unloading.
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

I just got done using my new Ariens 1130 dle. I dont know how reliable it is, but it works really well. I looked at many snowblowers before I found this one, and this one seemed to be the best built. It was around $1250.
  5. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

get a big one
  6. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

My father has owned many Ariens blowers and had great luck with them. He has a 1332 that he has used for a few yrs now with great service. Throws snow really well, and eats up big banks well. I have and older JD 1032, works great for a what I need but the new Ariens as doubleedge says are great blowers. Good luck with whatever you buy!
  7. redman6565

thanks guys, at least i have a start in the right direction now. we used to hand shovel all of our sidewalks but its a pain, specially if you are in a hurry.
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

You may also want to check out Toro. They're 2 cycle blowers are really nice. But any Ariens, Toro, or Simplicity blower would be fine. They are all made pretty solid. Just don't get one from Home Cheapo. Go to a dealer.
  9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Can I ask you why about only going to a dealer for purchase?
  10. redman6565

dealers would you give better service would be my guess...
  11. kevin1000

kevin1000 Junior Member

It would be great to see a picture of your "small platform". That really seems to be the solution to using bigger blowers when you have a salter on the back. Any chance of seeing that?

".....I know a lot of guys use those tiny toros, for our stuff its just too small, but we also have the problem of trying to unload 250+lb snow thowers out of the pickup trucks while a spreader is on the back. We are getting custom mounts made this year to have a small platform that the blowers will sit on behind the truck and just behind the spreader :)"
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  12. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I run 1332 Arien and the big Cub Cadets(MTD).After have to work on both drive systems it looks to me that the big Cubs have a more reliable drive than the Ariens.If you happen to shift gears to fast with the Ariens you could jump the drive so to speak.And the only way to fix it is to take it apart.It does not seem like that could happen with the cub.Plus with the cub you can take a tighter turn.
  13. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

They do not seem to be very popular on here, but I highly recommend looking at Honda blowers. I've had two 1132 as seen in the video with tracks and just bought a new one for this year, and a 928 wheeled model and they all work excellent, the can sit on the back of a truck for a week and two pulls there going, they can blow snow out of sight 50 feet or more, and they have very fuel efficient motors. A few of the models have the option of electric start 12v and power chute also. There worth taking a look at.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NHNLbAW6j7k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NHNLbAW6j7k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    This is not me in the video ether.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  14. redman6565

anyone else have problems shearing off pins with commercial snowblowers? i think i snap them every other time out but i know i'm not hitting anything...
  15. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i have a 1977 MTD that my grandfather bought new, it was an eaton's floor model.... it is built like a tank and unstopable, untill i break a drive sheer pin, now we use grade 8 bolts for pin's and replace them every storm. this machine is used to do 24-28 residential drives every storm
  16. redman6565

you dont worry about shearing a grade 8 bolt and taking out the gears and what not?
  17. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

We use an ariens 1336DLE and it throws snow like crazy when it's snow (more thann 5-6")... if you have anything less than snow (ie slush) it won't throw it anywhere, it will just clog up and drive you nuts. we break about 2-3 shear pins during a normal storm... it drives me nuts. but they say it's there for the machines protection, wich it is.
    We also have 5-6 year old craftsman 928 that been really good, never broken a belt or shear pin... it's still running, it doesn't throw snow like the ariens and the chute is garbage (plastic) but otherwise it's been reliable. I hear the newer ones are not as good as the older ones though.
    I would go with an ariens if I were you as long as you're getting snow only and not snow/rain.
  18. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Just the other day i saw a truck go by my shop .The guy had a off set hitch with the receiver tube on the right rear of the truck and a small platform that slid into it so the snowblower could be placed along side the sander chute.
  19. redman6565

ya, they are pretty popular. i worry about the driver forgetting and backing into a snow bank or something with the blower on the back
  20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have a sidewalk crew that goes out. They use a 1/2 ton dodge cargo van, short model. We can get a large 2 stage blower, about 15-20 bags of ice melt, spreader & shovels in it. Guys leave it running entire time there out so it stays warm, stuff stays dry & secure. We have had zero issues with our blower (other than shear pins), since buying this. No frozen parts, no starting issues, etc. If I had to do it again I would buy either a used 1 ton cargo or cube & insulate it, so you could just slide a pallett of melt in & 2 blowers. We have a 4 wheeler for walks but I don't use it as I don't want them towing a trailer & the salt & corriosion caused issues very quickly (1 season). With a cube it could fit in as well, but there is only so much two guys can do. For the HOA's I've thought about a 15 passenger (old state can be found at auction cheap), take out 1 or 2 seats throw in a blower or two, bunch of shovels & some apple workers, 1 good foreman & go nuts.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009