1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIDTOWNPC, Oct 4, 2008.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

heading to buffalo this weekend
    do some shopping, probably some wings...

might look a snow blowers, what should I be looking at

I heard Toro was very good. I want something 10hp that can blow wet snow and is fast. anyone know any places I can check out

I would think the prices would be a bit better then canada however maybe not.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

:eek: I dont think thats possible ? :drinkup: oximoron

OK then help me out. What do you suggest?
  4. elite1msmith

from chicago

i really dont even know my self. I can tell you this, the key to wet, and fast .. is mainly the size of the impeler, and more imortantantly the size of the discharge opening at its narrowest point. Toro for awhile made a 724, i think they also made like an 824? or something like that.... the main difference besides the engine, is the size of the discharge opening.... my dad got the 724 cuz it was cheaper.... darn thing clogs all the time.... I would bring a tape measure and mease those to things, I almost never have had one bog down due to the lack of HP , if it did , it was because the discahrge was clogged and snow began backing up.
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Ariens, Honda and Toro are all decent machines. I also think Snapper makes a good blower but you just don't see many of those around.

Do a little research on the manufacturers websites and decide which ones you want to look at.

looking at the 1024 toro or the 1128

Its strictly for a job where I have narrow pathways to clear, they get lots of drifts and I have to clean out around 26 garage doors and side entrances.

I think its my only solution.
  7. elite1msmith

from chicago

beleive it or not, i found the small single stage blowers to due better , and be faster wet/dry .... if your talking about less than 4 inches... so if you not lettting it pile up i would consider that, plus easier to get in and out of the truck.... are you clearin side walk? if so how wide? and is there grass on both sides ,or are you foolowing a building perimiter? thats when the size of the blower can come in handy... less passes.. but i woulnt be looking at the size and HP first , id look at the discharge opening

actually both... im got some townhouses

18, every 4 have a walkway inbetween them that drifts like crazy from what I hear,
    then the permiter has sidewalk in front and I have to do in front of all the garage doors, each one has a garage and back door. then we plow the parking lot and laneways.

so I just cant figure out what will do best.

Moving the machine is not a problem as I can ramp in in and out of a truck, or use a small trailer or even leave it onsite.

Speed that it can clear is the most important, it wont be piling up but I know it will be drifting cause its waterfront property. I also know that after i salt it and it continues to blow that once that starts to pile up a bit it will be heavy. thats why im thinking 2 stage. I could buy both if I really had to. Is a single stage faster then shoveling it?
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 single stage and 2 two stage. The 2 stage will clear a wider width so if you are clearing sidewalks wider then 36" then the 2 stage will out perform them. A single stage is easy to handle and spin on a dime. It won't through heavy wet snow very far at all. I have cleared my driveway with the single stage with 10" in it and it has worked well but if it has been walked or driven on then you need a 2 stage. Our 30" 2 stage will move a lot of snow in a hurry. I have an 826LE Toro and a Homedepot 30" Murry. We have had no issues with the Murry after 2 years of use.
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

single stag blowers are a nice tool to have

my general rule of thumb is... 1 inch we shovel
    2 inches, we blow with small blowers

4 inchs we start to get out the 2stage, but ...its inaddtion to eht single stage, doesnt repalce them.

if your walks are over 48 inchs wide, a single stage jsut isnt enough width,,, genrally i found you need to clan a side walk in 3 passes or your just not putting a big enough dent on the pile.... i know if you bought a 28 inch or larger, you might be able to do it in 2 passes, that is if you can find the edge of the sidewalk , the first time thru. genrally i have found its 1 pass down the middle, and one each side to complete it... so with that said a 20 or 24 inch model does pretty well on 48 inch walk ways...... another thing to think about... are you going in to a "dead end" another words, if you blowing up towards a persons home, you might get to the door, and have little room to turn around... with a big blower, that could mean backing up to a point where you can turn around... in this case a smaller blower would win.....

what i norammly go by is, take the width of the machine, mulitpylt by 75% thats how much can acctually be used with out spill over... so 24 inch machine x .75 = 18 inches x 3 passes... 54 inches... if your average walk is larger than 54 inches, you need to find a blower that fits the folumla... if its smaller than 48 inches... than a 20 inch will do fine
  11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

13 hp, 36 inch wide, 6 blade empeller, ignition start, cast iron diff case. The best built one IMO! wesport

I run 4 of these machines for our sidewalk crews.

well I think I am going to get a 2 stage forsure, as with the drifts that i expect and the dead end blowing as mentioned I dont think the single stage will cut it. if its light then we can shovel alot and blow drifts ect. that ariens looks like a nice machine

what should I expect to pay for an ariens like that?
  13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

They've gone down in price. In Canada it's $ 3,100 tymusic ( 1336 DLE model )
  14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol yeah i second that. Simplicity makes a 10hp commercial large frame model..

P1524E model i think is about 10hp 24" width in the commercial frame, retails for $1850 though.