1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblowers on skid steers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WHITE=GREEN, Dec 24, 2001.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

my partner and i are in the market to add another skid loader to our arsenal and my question is how productive are snowblowers mounted on skid loaders? we currently sub out all of our backhoe work out a small local construction company. we would be using it primarily to go around and clean up "curb to curb" after plowing with pickups as many of our accounts require this. would an oversize/light material bucket be as effective as a blower. we currently have a case 1845 that is used only to load spreaders. any real world experiences with these would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Snow thrower on a SSL have there uses but if you are looking to move large amounts of snow in open lots you might looking into snow pushes. We have a Pro-tech 8' pusher on a NH LS180. This unit can do the work of two trucks. The pusher is ok for stacking but I still use the standard bucket for final clean ups.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've been considering the purchase of a high flow blower with a truck loader chute to do municipal sidewalks. I'm kind of in a Catch 22 spot, the towns want demos, I don't want to purchase a $7000 attatchment without work for it. Has anyone run one of these?

wont really be used for open lot snow removal. mostly for scraping curbs around islands etc. our biggest account (very large medical center) requires the snow to be cleaned to the curb as they NEED every available parking spot. my thinking was a blower could be angled down into the center of the island and you could just run the curb line and would be much more efficient than turning to dump all the time when your buckets full. i thought of a pusher but would hard to get up over a curb without spilling half the load. whatever setup we decide on would have to be quick hookup attachments so we could switch between a bucket for loading spreaders and then to the blower. is there a recommended minimun horsepower for running a blower?
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I researched this subject pretty heavy last season, I know Loftness and FMC are two manufacturers with websites. I'll get links for you tomorrow, they both list machine requirements on their site.
  6. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

As skid steer snowblowers are all hydraulic, you need to make sure your machine has the flow (GPM) to run one. I think you would have better luck with just using the standard bucket for cleaning curbs. Cheaper than buying the blower, and just as fast with a good operator. Thats all we use. One other problem you will encounter if you use a blower in this application is debris plowed into the piles from the lot that can plug or damage the blower.
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

thanks pelican, will check them out.
  9. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

i would def say go with the regular bucket or light mat. bucket. the cost of the blower is tooo high and the time you save may not be worth it. also u may end up just making a bigger mess with the blower if ur working by a small island. finally in heavy, icy snow the speed of the blower will decrease thus resulting in lower efficensy

10. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

At the university I work at we do almost all our removal work with skids . We have a 763h and a asv rc-30. We have a erskine 6ft blower that is unstopable. Anything from wet dry or packed ice .I was told erskine is owned by bobcat . We have 4 buckets up to 96 inches but most of our removal is done by brooming. We have just added poly edges to a bucket and our skid snowblade .I will let you guys know how they hold up as soon as we get more than a dusting of snow. Our blower was 4600 4 years ago but has never failed us,
  11. proplow

proplow Junior Member
    from yahoo

Lockman response?

Lockman, I am running a few post here so be patient. You mentioned that you use skid steers for snow removal, could you give me advice on this.

I have a hunting camp on top of a mountain, 3/4 mile rough dirt/rock road up. I am looking at putting a bobcat at the top with a plow blade? and hiking up after storms and plowing down. Do you think this would work or do you have a suggestion, and do you or could you use chains on a skidsteer?

12. Patbobcat

Patbobcat Junior Member

I would go with a bucket or a blade first. With the bobcat you can get right into smaller areas and clean around curbs well. The blower might be useful if the snow is real deep, but also a little expensive if you don't need it. Bobcat makes regular flow blowers and high flow blowers. Try the bucket, if it doesn't work get a blower!