1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblowers in the early morning?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JLC, Nov 27, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC Member

I've searched and found that most people will plow during the night and early morning, but do you also fire up a snow blower to clear walks when you are there? How many come back and use the power equipment during "awake" hours?

2. Groundbreaker

Groundbreaker Junior Member

People work and sleep all hours of the day. Don't worry when you should go. Do your snowblowing when ever you have the opportunity. No sense is making a return trip and cutting into your profit and your sleep time. Even if all of your customers all old grandma's, some of them are up all night or get up early morning. Just remember which ones complain and do them later . Have A Nice Day!

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I gave my opinion in other posts on this topic. All I can say is, if my neighbor fired up his snow blower (or even lawnmower) at 3:00am....... I just may be tempted to plow my whole street at 4:00am........ and push half of it in front of his garage door and the other half right up to the front door of his house.
    It probably wouldn't even wake him..... but I think he would get the message.

Also, remember, you may not be disturbing your client since they want it done. But what about the next door neighbor(s) who may have been a future client(s)....... until 3:00am last night.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2001
  4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm firing up the equipment when I'm there, be it 2 AM or 2 PM. The truck plowing the driveway isn't exactly quiet either. Maybe quieter with the U edge then without but it's not silence. If I have to come back a second time, that's going to cost them more money, and everyone wants their drives done before 7 anyway, so something has to give somewhere.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

I think that many use common sense and try to start out with the money makers first (commercials) and then work their way thru the neighborhoods when they have the lots opened up.

I personally have done snow and unlike Dave (thankfully -LOL!!!) people havent gripped too harshly about running equipment in the early am hours.

It seems to be something where if its snowing and you want your driveway cleared for you then you have to be somewhat flexible. I try to not start prior to 4am if possible unless the weather deems it necessary then its whatever time we're there to get the jobs done to keep up with the storms.

Kris

6. casey

casey Banned

No blowers before 6 am or after 11:45 pm in res. neighbourhoods. They are planning to ban leaf blowers in Toronto because LCO's woke up the rich folk.

7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I'm moving to Toronto:D (I can't believe somebody was blowing leaves between 6am and 11:45pm)

In all fairness, my windows are closed during the winter but open on Saturday mornings in the summer when the neighbor mows his lawn. Also, snow falling and/or on the ground does absorb some sound. (I think)

No it isn't silence.... but it isn't a steady loud noise either (like a dark barking over and over and over for what seems like an eternity) ...... maybe a few bangs and thuds..... but the decibel level would be much lower.

Maybe your future clients (the neighbors) don't know your phone number.:)

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Around here, everyone, contractor and homeowner alike, seems to be out whenever the snow stops be it 2am or 2pm, so whenever the need arises the ol 2 stroke springs to life.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Another reason that the Honda 4 stroke is really the way to go in a single stage unit. Its is about 1/2 as loud as the two stroke blowers, and more enviro friendly.
    Also only one can of fuel to keep on the truck, straight, instead of mix and straight.
    Dino