1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblowers-electic or pull?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by menchhofer, Dec 31, 2004.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

The general consensus here is the toro 3650 or the honda is the best snowblower to use on sidewalks.

My question, is there any preference as to an electric start vs. pull start? Any pros or cons to either that you guys could share.

I am thinking agout purchasing a toro but would like opinions on the starting methods. thanks
  2. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I have a power inverter in my truck that I can plug my blower into when it's really cold outside. I'm not afraid to use the pull start but having both options available sure is nice!
  3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

simple really- if your going to use it at home and near a outlet the electric start is great and one would be foolish to pull start it.

if your taking it on the road then the pull start is the choice because you dont know if you will be near a outlet.

there arent many throwers out there that dont have both, and I dont know of any throwers that give you a discount if you dont get the electric start.
  4. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

that must be a good sized inverter
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Toro like the 3650 but it is only 4.5 hp. I have had it 5 years now and the thing has been great. It does not have electric start. This year I bought a new 26", 8hp Toro that has both. I leave it at home and when I load it in the truck I use the electic start. When out on the job I have to pull start it. I carry a 100' extension cord incase it won't start but so far I have not had to use it. The electric start is great but I think most will start if looked after.
  6. bcf

bcf Senior Member

My Ariens 524 has the provisons for the electric start, but does not have the box. I couldh've bought the blower with it, for an extra $70 I think, but felt it unneccessary. Ofn course, I could buy tht box now for $140, but I've never had to pull the hanlde more than twice to start it, even at 6*, or over summer storage.
  7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

how old is that machine?
  8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Does anyone have the Toro 16" 3.25 HP?????? Do you like it or not?? I have about 6 sidewalks and need a blower.
  9. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I bought it last November.
  10. thepawnshop

thepawnshop Junior Member

On the Toro 3650, there is about a $80 difference in price between the recoil and the electric. They have a "GTS" or "Guaranteed to Start" warranty for 5 years where they guarantee a one or two pull start or they repair the machine. The 3650R can be had on ebay delivered for $565 and the 3650E for $645.
  11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

My cheap MTD starts everytime on usually the 1st pull, if it's real cold maybe the 2nd pull. It has the electric start and in the 5 or 6 years that I have had it, I have never used it. I also can't remember seeing to many electric outlets at the commercial places that I plow and do sidewalks. The inverter is a neat idea, if you want to spend the money. I've just found that by the time I get out a frozen electric cord, find an outlet and plug it in, I could have had it started already, and had some sidewalk cleared.