1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hamons, Dec 3, 2009.

1. hamons

hamons Junior Member
    from zone 5

Hey fellas,

I'ma landscaper in Kansas City. Not interested in getting into plowing. However, I was going to buy a snowblower to do my drive and a few more drives of neighbors and older parents and such. Probably would end up doing half a dozen drives and walks most storms.

What would you suggest for me. We get between 20 - 30 total inches of snow. 6" is a pretty big storm for our area - 10" would be HUGE.

Should I just get a little single stage toro?

Would i be better finding a larger two stage used?

Guidance from the gurus?
  2. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

get a snowblower thats going to easily clean the end of driveway stuff that city plows leave you..most any big brand single will clean most of the conditions. i bought a 2 stage for that reason(eod).your still gonna need a shovel anyway.steps etc.snows coming
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

If snow at the end of the driveway will be an issue and you only want to buy 1 blower I would go with a 2-stage. However, for lighter snows the single stage blowers can actually be faster to maneuver and clean better down to the concrete because of the rubber friction of the propeller. I have heard good things about Honda single stage blowers.

If going 2 stage I wouldn't buy one with tracks because they take more effort to turn/turn around. Some larger ones also have finger click turning which unlocks the inside wheel from traction so it helps you turn it.