1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Adamj, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Adamj

Adamj Junior Member
    from Calgary

Ok here is my problem i have a Noma Canadiana Snow-blower that i bought for 450.00 it has a tecumseh engine HSSK50. I would like to put a light on but there is no alternator, i need something that will be bright but not to bright for clearing the sidewalks. Where i live it gets dark at 5:00pm at night.

If you have any suggestions please post them so you can help me out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

It's not worth the investment to put a light on it.

Get yourself a good high end headlamp like a Petzl RXP MYO Spendy but worth it. Super bright and programmable.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/myo-series/myo-rxp

It will be more than bright enough. Don't settle for those cheapy low powered $15 ones. You wonder how you ever lived without it - you'll use it for everything.

3. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

By putting a light on it. Will make it draw power from engine. I agee with post reply # 2

4. Exact Services

I just ordered out the headlamp I mentioned in post #2 for just under $80 shipped with a promo code to drop it 15%. If you want the source just PM me. I own the prior model with a much lower lux rating. The new one is over twice the brightness on the higher settings.

I have a bigger Honda Track drive 2-stage blower that has a light on it but 80% of the time I run Single stage blower and I need a light for that and also for shoveling. Works great.

The best buy for a lower power headlamp at just 50 lux is this one: http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/65 By electronic regulation it is able to maintain max brightness for 2 hours with alkalines and up to 3 hours with good Ni-MH cells - also water proof up to a meter.

Neither of these headlamps are appropriate for children to play with [or even some adults for that matter] - they will burn their retinas.

5. Exact Services

Just got the Petzl RXP MYO today this thing is SUPER BRIGHT. :redbounce

6. WeDoSnowplowing

The snowblowers now come with a wire to plug in a light or already have them. I was looking at some with my mom. Replacing one the she refused to do normal service on & it blown up. It was a good snowblower for 15 to 20 years. I was in high school back in 1987 to 1991 when she 1st got it.

7. WeDoSnowplowing

Please lets us know how the the battery last. I see they claimming 150 hours.

8. Exact Services

Will do. :salute:

Petzl rates output from the max setting down to the lowest useable light. Which frankly is not usable. But I'd be suprised if this RXP Myo makes it past 3 hour on the max bright setting. However even the middle setting is still very bright and probably all you would need for snow blowing at night in an area free of street lights - rural etc. Even the lowest setting for the light is still brighter than the highest setting of Petzl's original MYO XP. I used my 1st generation MYO XP for snow blowing last winter and it worked fine. Only the boost mode [on the 1st gen MYO XP] is brighter than the lowest constant setting on the newest RXP MYO.