1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower vs blade on sidewalk tractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by saltheump, Mar 2, 2012.

1. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

I have a couple of tractors with the snow-blower attachments that I am using this year. With all the breakdowns and problems I have had this year with a unusually mild season, I am wrestling with the idea of putting snow blades on the tractors for next year and possibly just using the snow-blowers in heavy snow. Any thoughts on my thinking. The cutting blade is breaking off after each run, the bolts break off the shoes end up bent. So the cost is getting up there. I am doing about 5 miles of sidewalks each run and I realize a lot has to do with operators but I am still with the mind set that a blade might work more efficiently. HELP!!

2. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

What kind of snow blowers are we talking?

3. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

Kubota 3000 with Kubota snow blower attachment running off the pto. They are Kubota snow blowers made for the tractors with a 51" cutting edge.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a video of what I use --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45npk6dDSio

That setup can effectively clear 8" of snow and when we get more than that I put the blower on. If you switch over to using blades you're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner because they are so much faster.

I'm doing roughly 3 miles of sidewalk each storm, sometimes more when the city needs me to help them out.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Camden. We started using blades only about 12 years ago and it was a good decision. The only time a blower is better is on municipal side walks where you need to throw the snow to avoid drifting.

6. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the Kabota's, we had a small Deere (2305) that had a 47" blower. I would have to agree with the other post's.I'd much rather have a plow than a blower but I realize that in some cases a blower when the conditions are right,are best choice.I have found in my experience at least in this area those conditions are seldom right. But I can understand in a setting like city sidewalks,it seems the best route.