1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblower transport

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captaingreen, Feb 2, 2004.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen Junior Member

I am an absoluely new to snowplowing, I own a lawncare business and am trying to supplement winter income by doing snow removal for my residential customers. I purchased a two stage snowthrower and as you can imagine am unable to lift it into the back of my truck. My question is how do you guys transport your snowthrowers from job to job. I have thought of ramps, but you could slip, trailers can slide, so on so on, any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. apkole

apkole Member

There are platforms which slide into the hitch recievers on pickups and SUVs. These come with ramps and are lower to the ground than the tailgate. Used for transporting atv's but might work for snowblowers as well. Just a thought.
  3. petra

petra Junior Member

captain green, that is what I saw another company in my area do. It is a platform that fits into trailer hitch and a ramp that folds down. I dont know how much wieght it can hold but it seemed to work for this guy.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Tommy lift , hydraulic lift gate. The best back saver made.
  5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

You can put chicken wire on your ramps.
  6. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I bought what's called a 'Buddy Ramp'. It's made in New Brunswick Canada. It takes the place of your tailgate. It is a ramp which unfolds into three sections on hinges. Made out of tube metal and covered in mesh steel. Great traction, haven't slipped yet. Helps me see backing up too.

SNOBLOMAN Junior Member

I use my small utility trailer. Strap it down between accounts and you should be fine. Sometime I let it idle if it is a short distance between. I think it would be much easier to use a trailer than to lift it onto a platform or into the back of a truck.
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a smaller snowblower:D
  9. badranman

badranman Senior Member

When ramp is up...

10. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Unfolding ramp...
    It's rated for 1000 #
    ( No....that ISN"T me..this is from the website..)

buddy ramp.jpg
  11. computerguy

computerguy Member

I went to Lowes. They have some aluminum ramps. $140 for the pair. Works great, light and non slip for the blower to run right up on. Not sure what I'll do when I add a hitch spreader.
  12. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

We use a pair of simple wooden planks with a set of rampart ends to run the blowers up into the trucks. We dont walk up the ramp as the blower goes up but rather walk right in between the planks as the machine goes up. Because we carry salt and potassium on a pallet up at the front of the bed, the blower fits in perfectly behind the materials and we can shut the blower off while standing outside the tailgate. Then a couple of friction straps and were moving again.

Remember KISS. Keep it simple st$#@d.

Computer guy. As far as the hitch spreader, get a swing away bed mount and then you can access your bed for the snowblowers or to load materials into the bed.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hmm the folding metal ramps i havent had a problem with
  14. captaingreen

captaingreen Junior Member

Thank you all for your input. There are some really good suggestions here. I think I'll check into the foldable ramp that replaces the tailgate, and the aluminum ramps. Thanks again guys!:D
  15. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Got ramps?

I have a set of aluminum ramps that I bought from my tractor dealer. Paid $139 a few years back. They each hold 500 pounds...some of the best $$ I ever spent. Even if you don't use them (normally I dont, cause I use an 18' trailer) it's still nice to have them just in case. I carry the blower in the back of my truck when I go out, use em, every time, very nice.....best money........:D

16. Murf67

Murf67 Member

I bought a cargo carrier for my 4runner. My blowers only weighs 150lbs so it is easy to lift up
  17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

When you DO get a spreader for the back, do yourself a big favor, and do not get a hitch reciever type. Get a regular one that also has a swing out mount, so you can get to your tailgate, too. This way, you can use ramps for your snowblower, AND you can have pallets of bags simply loaded into your tyruck, without having to handle the bags.
  18. wolfears

wolfears Junior Member

I bought a set of 6ft aluminum ATV ramps at Canadian Tire for $100.
    They provide excellent traction and you can set them up in no time.
    I have no problem getting my blower into my van, it will get in under it's own power, but it is a lots of work trying to get it into my 4x4 pickup, as it sits very high and the angle is therefore really steep.
    I have to push very hard to get the blower in.
    My blower is a Yard Works with 10.5 hp tecumsesh Snow King and it is a heavy beast.
  19. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I have a SnowEx spreader with a swing away mount. I leave the tailgate off as particulate tends to get trapped in between. I put a set of Rampart ends on a pair of 2x8x8 Treated. Cost, $25. Power my 28" MTD up the ramps, not stepping on them. I leave my blower in back, parallel to salter. Be sure to point chute toward back of truck so wind doesn't catch it. I use it at least a dozen times per storm and it takes app. 1 min. on/off.
    I would be cautious about the hitch mounted platforms. Remember you're already driving an oversizes vehicle in dangerous conditions. Also, could be a problem when plowing?
  20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would just like to add, that that is a very good point about facing the chute toward the back, so it doesn't get caught by the wind.;)