1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower solution for driveways?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Alta Lawn Care, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care Junior Member
    from vermont

I took on two condo complexes and was told that the previous guy needed a "bobcat" because there is no place to put the snow. I rented a bobcat skid steer and after getting it on site was told that the other guy had a snow blower attachment on his. Well, the snowblower attachment rental is another $1000 per month!

I considered buying a skid steer snowblower but it's about $5000 and I don't even own the skid steer.

I'm considering buying a large walk behind snow blower or a lawn tractor with a 48" snow blower on it.

There is no place to put the snow with the current bobcat (with bucket).

Any recommendations?

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

give it back to the other guy. he had the equipment needed and knew how to do the work. sounds like your being told how to do it as you go and after you took it on and bid on it. also sounds like you didnt plan any of this or give it much thought before taking it on. nothing personal i think i am just a little confused over your post.
    and if the other guy did it this way or that way and they are telling you to do it like the other guy then why didnt they just keep the other guy?:dizzy:
    in answer to your question a john deere tractor and blower might do the trick, depending on how big the tractor and blower on it you would want something of decent size. i would definatley skip the lawntractor idea unless your trying to find something to fit down a walkway..
    just my opinion.

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I would have to agree with Bribrius, I would talk to the company and recommend that they either go with the previous guy (provided you got the contract by out bidding him) or explain that the way that they want to/need to have it done brings in unforseen exspenses, and that you would have bid accordingly if they had told you this upfront. After that is said and done, politely ask if you could reasses your estimate and see if they still want you to clear their lot. Also, you might want to rent the blower for a month just to keep a good name.

JMO

4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

bribrius is right.....by the time you figure this out you will lose so much money that you will be crying.

Any walk behind blower will be too slow. You need a wide powerful blower so that means the skid loader and a blower or you take it on the chin with less equipment. Don't forget with 2 complexes people have to get out so time is an issue---whos doing the salting ---you--- more time required????

In short, you don't have the resources to do this so either find a sub with the equipment, hire a bunch of college kids with single blowers, or keep the skid and get a truck and truck it out of there. Those are the only solutions I see.

5. Alta Lawn Care

from vermont

Big snow blower needed

Code:
    give it back to the other guy. he had the equipment needed and knew how to do the work. sounds like your being told how to do it as you go and after you took it on and bid on it. also sounds like you didnt plan any of this or give it much thought before taking it on. nothing personal i think i am just a little confused over your post.
    and if the other guy did it this way or that way and they are telling you to do it like the other guy then why didnt they just keep the other guy?
    in answer to your question a john deere tractor and blower might do the trick, depending on how big the tractor and blower on it you would want something of decent size. i would definatley skip the lawntractor idea unless your trying to find something to fit down a walkway..
    just my opinion.
    Well, giving it back to the other guy is a tempting idea after today's 6" dump and 14 hours later. I did give it thought but bear in mind, this is my second year of business, so something that would be second nature to guys like you is brand new to me. Thanks for the advice on skipping the lawn tractor idea. I spoke to the property manager about getting more money and he is agreeable. Will he fork out the cashola for a tractor and blower? Doubt it. I'm wondering if a used bobcat with a snowblower would be the ticket. Am I looking at $15,000 range?

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You got any pictures of the place? It's hard for me to believe the place can only be done with a skid and blower.

The previous guy may have done it that way but it doesn't mean that you have to. You could probably get away with a skid and a box blade but I could tell you for sure after seeing pics.

7. Alta Lawn Care

from vermont

I might get out there today and take to pics. It's pretty high now.

8. Alta Lawn Care

from vermont

Forgot my camera but met with two guys--one who owns a John Deere tractor with a big snow blower, the other who uses big skid steers to truck the snow away--neither I'll have to pay for. (The condo associations will.)

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

At least they are accomodating you by letting you change your estimate. you must have really underbid that. Guess live and learn. Next year you will charge more.payup

10. Alta Lawn Care

from vermont

Pictures of piles

Here are some pictures of the piles we've stacked at the two condos

Inverness street 1.JPG

Glen Eagles street 1.JPG

Glen Eagles drive 1.JPG

Bobcat.JPG

11. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Why can't you put the snow between driveways? That doesn't look to confined to me. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just my observation from what I see in the pics. :salute:

12. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Yea, thats a lot of snow, but you mean to tell me that you can't get the drives clear with a bucket? Mabey it's just the pics, but it looks like there is plenty of stacking room still available.

P.S.-My blower would destroy any of those drives in <5 min.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

How large is this complex? It looks if need be, you would have room to move some of the existing piled snow and dump it down the hill where your bobcat is parked in the picture. If there is any other openings like that, the same applies to those, as well.

14. Alta Lawn Care

from vermont

Snow's melted!

Thank goodness those banks are now gone. Maybe the pics didn't do it justice. The banks in general were pretty much all like the one next to my truck--6' high or so. I've decided to hold off on buying a skid steer with a snow blower attachment this year but am likely going to buy one for next year. It will speed things up compared to the bucket, and I'll be able to use it at another client property (with a fence I need to shoot over). Not to mention, we won't have the problem of where to put the snow.

Thanks for all the advice.

15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I run two snowblowers on skidloader for condos. They work great, but you better have somebody that knows how to efficently run them.. And don't forget, they break, bend, clog, and just plain are a high maintenance item compared to buckets.. With bidding any project it's your job to know how to estimate and clear the snow in a timely fashion.
    Good luck.