1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblower (small/highpower)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by big450es, Sep 4, 2011.

1. big450es

big450es Junior Member
    from PA

Ive been plowing with my atv for about 10 years now at home, it looks like i can have about 20 driveways this winter. Im thinking of adding a snowblower, i was thinking of a 24" wide cut path for sidewalks but i need something that will go though the snowbanks the atv plow will make. What is a good highpower snowblower but with a small width.

2. leon

leon Senior Member

snow caster/snow blower

The BCS two wheel tractor and the BCS/Berta two stage snow caster is your best bet as the two drive wheel tractor and the snow caster are gear driven with no belts.

The BCS with the snow caster will dig into the piles and not ride up on them due to the low speed gearing and high traction with the no spin differential and individual wheel brakes.

The impeller is gear driven so there is no belt slippage which is a given with wet V Belts.

www.bcsamerica.com
    www.earthtoolsbcs.com

waving::drinkup::sleeping:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Are you handy with tools? Last year we took a Craigslist thrower with a dead motor and re-powered it with a harbor freight special. I think it was a 22" and the 6.5 predator motor bolted right on. We sold it after the big storm but I am thinking about re-powering one of mine with an electric start motor from HF. I'm tired of having to plug the drill in etc.....

4. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

This.

I have and old Ariens 8/24 repowered with a new 12hp kohler. Its a god dam beast and will do a good 8mph in top gear. Im also positive that the extra power will shread the 33 year old hardware fairly soon. I found a few good how to guides when I googled "ariens repower".

5. big450es

big450es Junior Member
    from PA

Sweet thanks for the replies. I picked up a craftsman 7/24 blower with tracks. What do i need to look for when doing a repower? Thanks

6. leon

leon Senior Member

Please define what you want to do for the repower.

The new engine must have an exact fit for the
    mounting bolts and the crankshaft should be
    the exact size of the old one.

7. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Depends on your level of comfort with fabrication. As our friend mentioned...you can often find a direct fit, but it may not have the options you want. If you want to add more horses or an electric start option, you may need a new pulley of even a machined coupler

time to break out the grainger catalog:mechanic:

8. Ted003

Ted003 Junior Member
    from IL

How about an MTD snow blower, are they any good?

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Older Mtd with air tires I believe before 1993 are best but after 1993 it start downhill. Feel flimsy.

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Are you replacing the motor because its dead or because you think you'll need more power? A good running 7 horse motor on a 24" blower with tracks is going to walk right through any windrow you can make with an atv unless you let it sit and turn to ice.

Get a clarence kit for the impellers, make sure its got a good coat of paint and the chute is slick and get a bunch of shear pins and make yourself a small toolkit so you cna do basic on site break fix and let the snow fly.

I've got an Ariens 824 and the only time it really has an issue is when the snow is significantly deeper than the auger opening is wide. It chugs right through the snowbanks I make with my truck's 8' plow.

11. Ted003

Ted003 Junior Member
    from IL

Thanks for the information I thinking about a used one, so I keep an eye out for the year. :)