1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower shopping?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLS, Nov 5, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Hi all!

I am going to invest in a small lightweight snowblower. One that can easilly be lifted out of the back of the pickup by one man. I have heard good about TORO's and HONDA's. Have skimmed over both sites, but both seem to be in the "Homeowner" areas on their respective sites. I'm sure their tough, but...

I already did a quick search, but came up with threads over a year old. Some mentioned models that are 3+yrs old. I would like current opinions on these two manufacturers products. Pluses and minuses. I won't be using it "all" the time, just want it for a few walks and steps.

Thanks Guys!
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know of any commercial snowblowers that are lightweight, but the Honda and Toro are both pretty tough to handle commercial use (and maybe some abuse).

I am not too familiar with the Honda, but as for the Toro CCR series, they are all basically the same except for the engines, either tecumseh or Suzuki 2 stroke, the Suzuki being the preferred (but pricier) choice. 2450 is the 4.5hp tecumseh, 2500 is the 5 hp tecumseh, the 3000 series I believe is the suzuki line. I have a CCR2500 and it has ample power for up to 6-8 inch storms, more than that and its really best for decks and stuff.

Toro is extremely simple design, very simple to repair in the field with a pair of pliers and set of nut drivers. Just watch the wear on the scraper bar and paddles, if they wear too far you will wear away the aluminum housing on the pavement with no warning :eek:
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Lawnguy

The specific models I see are TORO's 2450 (5hp) and 3650 (6.5hp). And the HONDA's HS520A (their only one) They are both about 75lbs (pretty darn light) and are both 20" swath.

The TORO lists the engine as a R*Tek and HONDA lists theirs as 5HP OHC Premium Residential Engine (thats the part that scares me!!)
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I am not up on the Honda's, but I do like the Toro's. I use the CCR 2000's. They are the Suzuki's (which are the best), and work very well. These are older models, but they age well, and can be had for less then half of a new one. They are a bit on the heavy side. Like was mentioned before, the 2450, 2500, and 3000 are all good machines. Toro makes a smaller unit, can not remember the number now, but is very small, very light, but quite effective for walks. I have some commercial friends who love them for walks. I also have a Snapper that is very nicely designed, it is there commercial machine. It is metal, where the Toro's are plastic. It is easier to work on, the only thing I do not like is the handle design.

Have fun

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I can't speak for the Toro but I took the advise of somebody here on plow site & bought the Honda. I think we both work close to the same areas (main line). Paver aprons, flagstone walks, this blower rocks. Even thru the wet heavey stuff we got last year, it didn't throw it far (it was like slush), but this machine cleared it without stalling. Weights about eighty pounds, starts on the firt pull and takes reg gas. I worked the he!! out of it last season. I bought mine in Del. just over the state line on Naamans Rd, I can email you the info if you want.

6. captjack

captjack Member

I've got the toro 6.5 hp ccr3650. It has been flawless.
    Good luck,
  7. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 7 year old toro ccr 2000 that has been used and abused and has still been almost flawless exept for a worn scrape bar! This machine will easily go through watery slush without clogging ot 10 inches of powder! I just picked up a new ccr 3650 today! I hope it is as good as mY 7year old toro!
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We have 2 Honda 621 blowers, that was the predecessor to the 520, and they are great. Will go through anything, and always start on the first pull. Honda engines are the industry standard. The 5 hp they use is just like the ones you see on small generators and power washers.
  9. thelawnguy

That would be the S seires, S200, S620. Good up to 3 or 4 inches. No deflector chute, to aim the snow you push the machine at an angle. But very light, can't be beat for decks patios steps and other places a heavier machine would be difficult to maneuver.
  10. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

Snow Blowers

I would recommend the Simplicity.... spelling?

I have the 6 hp.... single stage and it throws 20 feet and I did a good 20 inches of snow deep at one time it went through it well slow but well
  11. casey

casey Banned

The best single stage unit is the Toro 3650 because you can turn the chute from the operators position. You cannot do this with any other Toro or Honda single stage. The engine is the 6.5hp Duraforce, the same engine used in the Lawnboy Commercial 21"s. These units can take hard comm use.
  12. plowking35

from SE CT

I can turn my Honda from in back of the handles.
  13. thelawnguy

Same with my Toro.

Must be those Canadian toros come without a chute, due to the exchange rate...:rolleyes:
  14. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Hi Glad I logged on tonight and seen this thread.

Im getting 2-3 blowers tomorow and had been tosing it back n forth which one to purchace,,
    Last week a fellow bought 5 Toro CRC 3650 and said they where fantastic,,and for the money ... olny problem was them tiny wheels but you keep a bunch of spares handy
    So after seeing some comments on here ,,Ill get the Toros tomorrow :)
  15. casey

casey Banned

Unless our Toro's & Hondas are different over here the chute crank on all Hondas & lesser Toros is directly on the chute. The Toro 3650 has a lever similer to a two stage snowblower for turning the chute. No bending. It is much more difficult to turn the chute far left or right with the Honda & anything under a 3650 Toro.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2001
  16. plowking35

from SE CT

Whatever dude. If that is a criteria for snowblower purchase then so be it.
    I can turn the shute faster by reaching over the to the handle on the shute than by turning a crank anyway.
  17. thelawnguy

The big selling point, for me, for the Toro was the ability to swing the chute full 180 with one push of my hand, not innumerable turns of a crank and gear system, which will eventyually cause a failure.:cool:
  18. casey

casey Banned

Our blowers are used all day & the chute crank makes for better pinpointing of direction & much less fatigue on the guys using them.
    BTW, We have 4 year old 3000 Toro's (predecessor to 3650) with many hours hard comm use & no problems with the chute cranks.
  19. TJPLOW

TJPLOW Junior Member
    from sc & nb

I use Toro CCR Powerlite 325 for walks.small driveways. It weighs ONLY 38 LB. Throws as good as the 6 horse Honda I have, and if an area is big enough for my 928 Ariens or my 1132 Honda I go right to them. All the 5-6.5 horse singes weigh around 100 lb. 38 lb is nothing in comparison, like a bag of salt on top of the little 325. Try it, I just sold the Honda Single to my uncle. T hat's how good it is. Trying something is way better than hungry salesperson that would sell their mother if they could.
  20. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I didn't think you could pinpoint where the snow lands.:confused: Doesn't it just fly in the general direction that the chute is aimed, covering at least a few square yards (meters for the Canadians)?