1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower scraper edge---anybody use rubber instead of steel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Two Seasons, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons Junior Member

We do commercial sidewalks. Uneven from slab to slab. Adjusted snow shoes to lift steel scraper blade off pavement about 3/4" (about gravel height) so we can run units at full tilt.

Short of shoveling after we use the blower, we are leaving a little on the walks.

Have any of you ever experimented with a rubber scraper instead of using the steel that comes with the unit? Was thinking something along the lines of the Snow Technologies B.A.T design, only less rubber of course :D and used only on the bottom, not a semi-circle, as pictured on their web site.

Any advise or thoughts you could share would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

We run heavy poly on our tractor blower, works well... still does the ba bump ba bump ba bump thing with every crack but we can do 5-10 mph with it...

If your running walkbehind snowblower you need to get a toro with the trip edge... I got one of those also, only thing is its only got less then 3 hours on it in 2 years :D

3. Two Seasons

Two Seasons Junior Member

OK. Thanks for the tip and I'll check the Toro line out.

4. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

hey triple, whats your thought on changing out the spring loaded pivot bar when its due.You think its strong enough. The dealer didnt know either. I ended up passing.

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I dont understand what you mean by changing out the spring loaded pivot bar? Like replacing it with poly or just putting a new one on?

All i know is that sucker works pretty good, from the wopping 3 hours that are on it, if that :laughing:

6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

LOL. :jester:

7. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

toro calls it a pivot scraper blade. it's got 2 springs attached to the plate on the inside of the auger bucket to keep constant pressure on the pavement. it looks like a real project to change the metal pivot plate.