1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblower, salt config in the bed, tailgateless

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I went without the tailgate this year and need to quickly fab something up to keep stuff from falling out. used it a bunch now and it works great and only cost me $3 for the tarp.

I keep 35 bags of salt on a pallet that is rachet-strapped to the truck, those are held in place by a 1/2 pallet on end and a tarp is held down by a quick clip (not shown). the blower has a 2x4 that runs infront of the wheels so that doesn't go anywhere, and I made two boxes to hold the gas can and empty (used for salting sidewalks) 5 gal bucket.

not having the tailgate on saves me 50lbs of weight but more importantly allows me to flip the lid all the way over and out of the way and makes it easy to sweep snow out.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Looks nice. Mine looked that nice for about 5 min until I started using everything, then it got all messy:(
  3. cattrader

cattrader Member
    from pa

what a super idea!!

you should patent that!!:dizzy::help:
  4. Grn Mtn

okay so having a lack of sleep are you being sarcastic or serious?

I've done something every winter to help organize and every winter I think if I find the right combination of stuff it would be great to make a permanent one out of aluminum, so I wouldn't be making it in 20* weather like I always seem to end up doing.
  5. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Not being a smart ass but why do you want to lose 50 pounds of weight that far back? I know a tail gate can be a pita. You did a great job making it neat.
  6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good, nice and neat
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

plowing without a tailgate is alot easier, you are able to see exactly how close you are when backing up and greatly improves your rear visiblity i always remove mine to plow since it only takes maybe 30 seconds.
  8. Grn Mtn

since I don't have a swing-away salter (didn't want to put all the holes in the truck) and its on nov-apr, plus all the reasons listed earlier I'm not able to take the tailgate off once the salter is on. Although, I did build a frame that holds the salter for summer storage so IF i needed to take it off I can do it by myself and put it back on by myself without too much trouble.

Why, so I can carry another bag of salt:bluebouncpayup duh:D