1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Italiano67, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I currently run 3 Toro 2450 throwers that travel with my plow trucks. They work extremely well with 75% of the snowfalls but i am looking for some answers on the larger storms and drifts etc. Does anyone use the the Snow commander Toros or the 7 hp Ariens single stage throwers? and if so do they have a significant advantage over the 5 hp models? I know the perfect solution is to use the two stage blowers but the transport of them is not an option with the salt spreaders on the trcks.

2. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I find the 2 stage ones are too cumbersome unless it is a long walkwqy. They are a pita in condo assns too. If the condos are drifted I send 2 guys and 1 breaks the the drifts down with a shovel and does the steps and clean up and the other runs the blower.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I run those Toros also and have the same problems you mention. I try to always have 2 machines working together, that way you can have a drift buster( usually me-why is that?) and the cleaner upper guy. You could just have a dedicated truck with 2-stage blowers doing all your walks but thats more money out of your pocket. Try doing what I do - Pray that we only get 6" or less each storm!:angel:

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

This last storm really worked us over. We had some condos with huge drifts against the garages and over some walks. The 2450's did their best but by the end the operator and blower were ready for the fox farm.:rolleyes: Maybe the biggest single stage throwers would help but I hate to drop 800.00 to find out they arent any better.

5. WIPensFan

Can you tell me the types of larger single stage blowers your thinking of? I know you mentioned Ariens, but what others? This year I bought a new Toro Powerclear 221 but I believe the engine is about same size as older models. It works great though!( I never let the help use the new ones. They know how to destroy them real fast.) I can't imagine any other single stage working that much better, but you never know till you try one. Wonder if a dealer would let you try one out?

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blowers

Another option would be a Pronovost snow blower Model PXPL-50-75 with the scraper blade and hydraulic chute control to get close to buildings, garages, cars and to clear side walks.

They have a neat video describing the blower and watching it work

The Kubota specialty purpose orchard tractor with rubber track drive would fit well for this blower as it is very narrow 48" wide, low overall height, with a low center of gravity and a factory cab, heat, air etc.

A four foot flail mower and the track drive will get anywhere a side discharge mower with wheel drive cannot and it will mow much more quickly and more safely-no thrown objects, no grass to pick up as it is cut very fine to mulch.

leon:cool:

www.pronovost.net snow blowers section

www.kubota.com specialty ag tractors(vineyard and orchard)last section top of page unless they changed the home page recently.

7. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

are you talking about the 722's? I'm running two 522's and they will get through drift's pretty easy. On one of my accounts, I put them to the test each time. The way the parking lot is setup, when it's plowed I have no choice but to plow one of the walks in. So that means 2ft (at least) snow pile. The 522 will get through it w/ a little jockeying (knocking it down first pass then turning around to clean it up). I only struggle on the thick slush from the city plow trucks at this account (the sidewalks go right up to the street). These little blowers have good torque, so I'd imaginge the 722 should be even better. The only thing I would suggest is to carry extra belts. My older one seems to slip a belt once in a while, and chewed up one up also this winter.

For regular snow fall over 6", I think it's just going to depend on what kind of snow is on the ground (light/fluffy vs. thick/wet).

8. leon

leon Senior Member

Canada eh?

Do you use twin v-belts for those little monsters or singles on a multi sheave pulley??

The reason I ask is the gates folks make a green colored heavy duty belt for any V belt application.;) They are beautiful machines aren't they?

9. highlander316

one single belt on the machine. I'll have to look into those belts.

Yea I love these blowers. My guy loves them too, he thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread lol. On some snow falls, these things will rip through the sidewalk in seconds, and they sound mean as hell to hehe.

10. WIPensFan

I don't see the Ariens being any better or worse than the new Toros. The real problem everyone has is the weight of the machine. If one of these companies could make a blower that is more powerful but yet still light enough to be lifted on & off a truck 40-50 times a day they would revolutionize the industry! Wonder why they don't? I'm guessing it would cost too much $$$.You know those competition chainsaws that cut through a 3' thick log in 2.987 sec.? That is a snowblower I will buy!!:D

11. highlander316

^ that is true. The only thing I forgot to mention is I feel the wheels on the Ariens are cheap. Drop them too hard on the ground and they'll break. I also bent the axle once.

12. leon

leon Senior Member

pronovost blowers

=============================================================================
    ^
    This the garden railway with the railroad snow blower I always wanted.

If you guys want a neat thing to look at go to the LGB trains web site or look up garden railways on the internet and youtube snow blowers and you will see a garden scale scale LGB rotary snow blower:cool:

Highlander - Your v-belt will have a letter grade width size and then the circumference size in millimeters so cross referencing a Gates heavy duty belt will be no problem-V belts are universal like bearings, if you have the manual handy you should be able to find it(the new belt) on the Gates site quickly- it has been a few years since I looked at thier web site but the belt sizing page should be there.

Also you will seriously want to check the flat pulley and the tension spring for it-it may be weak and need to be changed- any tensioner will have a standard length spring for proper tension and if it is longer than that it needs to be changed.

If the belt is bouncing from the shock loads of blowing during the heavy load it is time to change it.

Success,

Leon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NO, I told you-not to stick your fingers in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009