1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower questions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mister_snowplow, Oct 25, 2004.

1. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I'm looking to get a snowblower. What brands do you think are the best, and what size clearing width (inches) do you think I should go with? Bigger the better? Any advice is grealty appreciated. Thanks!

Here are my options:
    26" clearing width
    28" clearing width
    32" clearing width
    36" clearing width

2. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

I'm a fan of Ariens... I have an 824 (8 hp, 24 inch clearing path). Its a great machine and has pleantly of power... It is a little on the narrow side however and when making a turn the tires catch the snow banks (kind of like when your plow is too narrow). If I had to do it again I'd probally buy one with a 28 inch clearing path! Happy shopping... :drinkup:
  3. mister_snowplow

Thanks GpGuy84! Appreciate the help!
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I've got a Craftsman 9 hp 27 inch and it works great. My father in law has a 9 hp Ariens and it has the same Tecumseh motor. I actually like the Craftsman better cause with his Ariens I feel like it wants to tip back all the time, so I find myself lifting on the handles as I walk behind it. His Ariens has some features that I wish my Craftman had, but I could've got them with a slightly more expensive Craftsman too.
  5. mister_snowplow

Thanks Remsen1...appreciate it!
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've had real good luck with my Craftsman. :waving:
    Definitely stick with a 2-stage. :nod:
  7. mister_snowplow

Thanks Boss! So far I've heard good things about Craftsman, Ariens, and Toro.

What is your clearance (inches) on your Craftsman...Boss? Thanks!

:bluebounc LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW :bluebounc
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

32 in. :waving:
  9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Do some research, but I bought a Toro Snow Commander and its a 7HP 2-stroke and its suppost to be awesome. The only thing with 2-stage they dont clear down to black top like a single would. Also I can pick it up and put it in the back of my truck myself.
  10. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I've got the 8hp MTD from Walmart. I think it's the 26". It has the same engine as in the Toro, Ariens. You need to adjust the cutting blade if you want it to scrape low to the pavement. Mine does a good job. You also need to adjust your speed according to the snow out put. I think mine has 6 sp forward and I'm usually in 4th or 5th gear. At times i have to pull up on the handle bars also to keep the cutting blade down. I will be making something to hold 10lbs weights to each side to see if that helps. I paid about $7-something two years ago and i think they are now $700. at Walmart.
  11. notaclue

notaclue Junior Member

If you want a snowblower that will be of service for a long time to come, buy the Ariens. The 824 is the most popular, and in the $1000.00 range. Superior drive train construction, aftermarket parts readily available, and grease fittings on sprockets where most of wear is concentrated. The Tecumseh 8hp Snowking engine is proven. Get 110v electric start option. Run 5W-30 synthetic in the engine, put Stabil in the gas at the end of season, service the machine at begining of season, and it will last forever. No ********. I know, because I work small engine repair full time. Good luck.

Going today to pick one up still undecided toro single stage or ariens 5520E 2 stage both about a hundred pounds. So no mater what way I go I still need ramps.