1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ridmax, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Ridmax

Ridmax Junior Member
    from 02818

Wondering what type of snowblower you guys are using for clearing sidewalks,walkways etc. I've been shoveling my sidewalks and walkways for a long time but I'm ready to make things a little easier. Do you prefer two stage or single stage ? I'm leaning towards single stage two stroke because it's easier and faster to get in and out of the truck but not sure if they are capable enough

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Toro Powerlite, Toro 2450 - Both single stage. Ariens Hydro Pro Tracks 2 Stage.
    I use the Powerlites 95% of the time. They are no longer made so I am hording them. Only 30 lbs. and work very well.

3. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i use ariens and john deere ,but they don't make deere snowblowers anymore. i use both single and 2 stage depends on the snowfall that day.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have two old Toro CCR2000's for the light stuff and two (MTD made) two stagers for heavy stuff... The single stagers are nice in that one guy can toss it in and out of the truck no problem. I have the unfair advantage of having a power tailgate on one of my trucks though too.... :D

5. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

The little Toro's are nice for light powedery stuff and if it is like 8" or less. anything over 8" or heavy wet snow we use the 2 stage. Havent had any bad luck with my MTD ... had it 3 years now and I started it yesterday with 2 pulls (keep in mind that it sat since the end of the season last year). Good machines.... also the new toro 2 stages are awesome... i would say take a look at the one with the power steering.... moves really nice ... only downside is the cost.

6. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you only can afford one I would go two stage---it can handle both the heavy and lite snows--there are some downsides
    -more difficult to get in and out of the truck
    -slower ground speed (sometimes)

But if you can only have one the heavy snows is where you really want it. Simplicity Pro or Ariens Commercial will both treat you well

7. Ridmax

Ridmax Junior Member
    from 02818

Thanks for the input guys. I like the mobility of the small single stage, but with that you do sacrifice the ability to move larger amounts of snow. I'll have to give it some more thought then see what I can find on craigslist that I can get cheap and try out

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I use a SS Honda HS520, runs very well, starts 1-2 pulls everytime, light, works great up to about 8-10" more than that it still works better than shoveling.

9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

New Toro 418 ZR single stagers go in the trucks every 2 years. I use an Ariens Deluxe 30 for if we really get spanked with heavy wet crap.

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Ariens 28" 2 stage for higher amounts, a toro snowcommander single stage 24", 4 toro 3650 single 21", a 18" toro(pipsqueak) and a 321? 21" toro. Might want to check out the new toro commercial single stage,4 stroke bigger engine, thicker paddles for better wear. Cheaper for some reason? http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Toro-38751-Snow-Thrower/p11247.html

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i run a toro single stage for the small stuff and have a 2 stage for over 6"

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

That may be because it's lacking electric start I'd bet.

I prefer a lack of electric start, it's lighter in and out of the truck.

13. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Before you buy anything, lift it in and out of your truck a few times. 80lbs doesnt seem like a lot of weight until you are 10 hours in and have lifted the thing in and out of the bed 20 times. My Toro 621 gets heavy towards the end of the night but it throws heavy snow very well. My Toro 418 is 30 lbs lighter but can't handle the wet stuff.

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've used the 2 and 4 stroke single stage Toros in 18-24" of snow. Almost 50% of the walks I used to do would have heavy drifting. Not the little powerlites but the bigger single stagers. You have to be careful not to burn the belt when in heavy snow but once you make the first pass through you're good to go. They keep going and going...amazing little machines really. Forget about a 2 stage, buy the new Commercial Toro single stage and you'll be happy.

15. hamiltonenterpr

hamiltonenterpr Junior Member

I sub around 8 properties ( shops, doctors, strip mall, offices ect. ) I use a 28in craftsman works great for all snow but smaller then 3in a shovel is just as fast. I don't mess with the singles they just don't hold up. personally i'd say make sure its got a decent size engine nothing smaller then a 6hp. (mines 11) weight shouldn't matter they will crawl up 2 2x6's no problem. 10$ fix to anybody with that problem.

16. WIPensFan

2 staggers are slow and bulky. Single stage blowers actually hold up just as well. I guess I disagree with your whole post.

17. hamiltonenterpr

6 forward 3 reverse power streering guarantee will blow circles around your single. And like I said they will
    Walk up a par of 2x6's bulky shouldn't be a problem either there bigger but don't take up much more sq footage... So I guess I just disagree with your post also

18. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Single stage are light and fast, I would not shovel 3 inches takes to long. Mine hold up fine. Only use the 2 stage when I am forced to. Slow Big Did I say SLOW. But they work. I only use it the next day for clean up and blowing back snow on drifted walks.

19. WIPensFan

I've used many different 2 stage blowers: Toro, Deere, Simplicity. I don't care how many speeds it has, none are as fast as walking fast behind a single stage Toro. BTW I've also dealt with ramps...they are a PITA! You're not running circles around anybody with that machine. I'm not saying it doesn't work well for you, but there is a reason these single stage paddle blowers sell like hot cakes, 90% of the time they are a better solution than the 2 stages.

20. hamiltonenterpr

Slow? slow? Slow? O yeah you said slow I got that The first dozen times I just don't agree You have to run to keep upalone 6th what's the slow art? Do you have a 20 year old peice of equipment ? If that's the case my contractors I sub for have a year requirment on our equipment so do lost homeowners for that matter they don't like looking @ junk