1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Pulled my snowblower out the other day and something is wrong with it. It is the ariens in my signiture. It is like the trany is stuck in drive because the wheels will not freewheel when unit is shut off, i don't want to start it until i figure out wat is wrong, please let me know what could be wrong with the unit or if you need any additional info to figure it out, please ask, i want to get this fixed asap, ill be shoveling this storm!! Thanks happy thanksgiving!!

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

is it belt driven?...if so flip the thing front, take the bottom plate of and chances are a bolt sheared off connecting the belt wheel to the axle and it just jammed up.

3. mcwlandscaping

No its friction disk driven, i just checked the manual, its out of warranty so ide like to figure it out but i don't want to go in blind! Thank you for posts

4. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

is it Hydrostatic drive? if so not to be insulting but did you remember to flip the freewheel release lever? common mistake and I have forgotten a number of times when in a hurry!:eek:

5. mcwlandscaping

Its ariens Disc-o-matic friction disk drives system, 6 gears forward and two reverse.

6. ROFOTH

ROFOTH Junior Member

fric-disc

Try re-adjusting the friction disc. The rubber expands when warm & contracts when cold. On your hand lever at the bottom should be a adjusting nut. Other wise I'd say you need a new friction disc. I have a craftsman 8/24 trac drive did the same thing. New disc and works fine now. The disc cost me 15.00$ Hope this helps.

7. mcwlandscaping

Allright, i fixed it, i took the bottom plate off to take a better look before i bought anything, the gears were just stuck up, i just pushed on em a bit and they were freed. All set now, i noticed afterwards there was a little part of the gears that weren't lubed so i figured that was where it was caught. Thanks for the posts!