1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowBlower Prob

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Dec 26, 2004.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I got my snowblower fired up today and it runs smoothly, in half choke, when i turn the choke to off, it runs erratically, but when i increase the choke, it runs smoother....i allowed it to run for like 20 mins to warm up, still, it wont run with out half or 3/4 choke...any of you ever have this problem with a mower or a snow blower???

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

is the gas fresh with stabilizer in it? sounds like water in the fuel .

3. WELDER

WELDER Member

Sounds like your carb is gummed up from sitting all summer.that is if you already tried adjusting the fuel/air mixture needle. :waving: my 2 cents

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

now that i think of it i agree with welder.
    what type of blower is it.

5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

its a 1 year old craftsman 8 hp blower....any 1 know how to un-gum the carb or adjust the needle, or get the water out? lol

It runs alright at 3/4 -half choke, but that was with light snow, im worried for heaver snows it wont be able to get the job done....

hmmm.... :confused:

6. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

I agree with WELDER also sounds like the problem

7. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

so uh, what do i do to clean the carb ~_~

8. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Puul the carb off and clean out the jets. Make sure the float is moving up and down freely also. If it is running fine at 3/4 choke that means it is starving for gas when the choke is off. Mixture screw can also be the problem.

9. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

thx for the help, ill try that

10. WELDER

WELDER Member

if you have never torn down a carb beforw, id take it to a little mom an pop shop and let them do it. they are easy, but you gotta have some air to blow out the ports...and a rebuild kit prolly wouldnt hurt either :waving:

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You might get lucky by putting some fresh gas in it with a little HEET. Run it for a while and see if it cleans up. If it has a primer bulb push it while it is choked and running, while trying to keep it running, and you may be able to force the crud through.

12. smiti105

smiti105 Member

If you do pull the carb watch out for the spring that holds the needle and seat. It is small and if you lose it gas will just keep flowing into the bowl.

13. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

na im not going to do it my self, ill let some one do it for me, illl try the primer bulb tomorrow
    is there any harm in running it at half choke to blow like 3-4 inches of snow? i did it last weeek and had no problems, just had to go slow to stop the bogging

14. Robo

Robo Senior Member

It may clear up if you run it for a while. Probably just some old bad gas. Shouldn't hurt it running with the choke on.

15. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

:nod: What Robo Said :nod:

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I discovered something this summer! A 2 stroke weed eater will run on WD40!
    I was spraying the carb throat, choke and into the fuel line with it, then pulled the start cord and it started! As long as I sprayed it in, it ran. The thing would not start up to that point. After that it would start after 5 pulls and run on the mixed gas all summer. Another use for WD40!

17. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i think im going to try that HEET additive, any1 know how much to put in per gallon of gas?

18. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Vis, with the simplicity of the questions you're askin, I'd highly recommend you take it to a shop. You're better off to pay the bill and have a pro do it than try a quick fix and ruin the whole engine.

19. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Find the carb and look for a small mixture screw on it. Adjust it back and forth until you get it running without choke on. Then adjust it as far out as you can with the engine running good.