1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower loading into truck with spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Im sure you all have your methods, i have yet to find one with the big Boss tailgate spreader and my 350lb Simplicity 13hp snow thrower :(

Has anyone seen "NICE/sturdy" 10-12' aluminum folding ramps, something that i could setup on the SIDE of the truck and unload the snow thrower that way? Im going to try and "design/hack" together some mounting method and grate on TOP of the bed in the back of the truck near the rear of the cab window, so that the blower can be loaded from the side, on top of the bed and be anchored down during transport.

I think i can get two 2x3" lumber into each stake hole closest to the cab windows, get about a 36" width platform made of wood or welded steel/stainless or something so the blower can sti on that and be fastened down. Im going to try to get wire mesh welded on so i can strap it down right to that with tie downs. Ill need to do this for a few trucks so they all can have snow blower transportability to the sites if needed.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

umm, i dunno about this? could be dangeours for your machine, and truck

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Have you considered a mini truck bed crane, cable operated and all. You could put a lift ring centered on the machine, lift with mini crane and swing into the truck and lower. Just a quick idea, i realize could be a bit costly.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Is it possible to get a swing away mount for your spreader? I used to use a Vbox but I couldn't haul my blowers around so I got a tailgate spreader from a guy on here with a swinging mount and it's been great. Just a thought...

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Lose the box and go with a flat bed for the winter.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

lol, yeah if only i could do that :)

The crane idea sounds neat, but would be way costly and time consuming each time unloading and loading

Whats dangerous about going up the side instead of the back?

And most all tailgate spreaders i looked into would only "swing" if they were empty.. Trust me i thought i could swing open the spreader fully loaded, get the blower out and one bolt and im back in business, nope. I think theyre just too heavy fully filled.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing dangerous about driving a blower up a set of ramps over your bed side. :rolleyes: In a snow storm when everything is slippery do you really want to slide off the ramps and hasve the blower land on top of you? Do what you want but I wouldn't ask myself or any of my guys to do that over and over every storm. JMO

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. all seasons

all seasons Member

I picked up a nice set of alum folding ramps from www.northerntool.com use keyword ramps in the search box

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Great! i think ive found what i need... [​IMG]

If i can order the front 3'~ long section only, thats more than enough to drive up those ramps, secure the blower down and go on our way.

Myself included, we usually have two guys per truck, one that handles any shoveling/snow blowing and salting of sidewalks and the truck driver. Even this past winter, with minute amounts of snowfall, we cant give up so much time just because it takes so long to hand shovel sidewalks, when the blowers can do it 10x faster. I'd need 4 man crews to go as fast as 2 guys with the blower.

11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

id get a rear cargo carrier and mod it for your needs. weld up some brackets that go to the frame and secure them and use ratchets hooked from cargo carrier to rear stake pockets for additional support. then possible rig it up with a hinge system so it could fold up against the salt spreader and be secured with the ratchets when plowing lot's.

http://www.sportomotoring.com/oversized-pivoting-hitch-mount-cargo-carrier.html

something like that and some thinking and youd have a nice snowblower rack for your truck, and it would be safer than a steep ramp going up on top of your bed .

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's running a tailgate salter?

13. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah any spreader would interfere with that type of system, thats why im looking at all angles to get the machine up the side of the trucks.:)

14. LawnProLandscapes

i know hes using a tailgate spreader thats why i said modify a unit like the one i posted by making a bracket to drop down from the frame and run out past the tailgate spreader then have it on hinges like the one shown so that when its not needed on site it can fold up against the spreader ..

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ok but I still don't see it as a good idea, I don't see loading it over the side of my truck being a good idea either though. Maybe he should just start power lifting and then he could lift it over the sides by hand.wesport

16. LawnProLandscapes

haha yea get him some of the supplements the mlb guys use he'll be able to toss it in the bed of the truck from the sidewalk... i wouldnt want to be the guy pushing that blower up a ramp when its snowing and slick especially with the incline it will be at to get on top of the bed. i think most good ideas are out the window for this one, time to determine the least lethal bad idea :eek:

maybe downgrade to a smaller snowblower that 2 guys would be able to lift , it might take a little longer to clear the walks but could be a heck of a lot safer.

17. Ramairfreak98ss

lol, im pretty tough and am no match for lifting these suckers into the back by hand :p. The 12' ramps up the sides are NOT a steep incline, no more than 6-7' ramps up the tailgate in the back we have used before... Now with that said, it is MUCH easier loading them into our 91 f150 that sits low in the back compared to the fully unloaded f350 with no weight in the back.

They have locking differentials and rather large knobby tires, on descent ramps, you would have full control over it while loading. We could get smaller models, like 24" ones, but then already you sacrifice commercial quality and how long they'll last. Plus they'd still be ~200lbs for a 24" so we still couldnt lift that up.