1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower lift

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by watatrp, Oct 12, 2013.

1. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I've got a flatbed truck that I use for plowing. Loading and unloading my 75 lb snowblower on the bed is getting old. Has anyone found an easier way to do this? I'm thinking of using some sort of small crane (this kind you can mount in the bed of a pickup) and hooking it up to a portable electric winch. Pics would be helpful. I can probably come up with something but if someone else has done this it would be helpful.
  2. bswalks

bswalks Member

How about some wood planks or a set of aluminum ramps & just drive it up?
  3. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

folding ramps

a set of folding aluminum ramps will save your back, be certain to strap them to your truck it sucks if one kicks out. I use mine for my two stage and the single stage is light enough yet i can lift it no problem.
  4. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried the ramps for two seasons and found that I spend more time slipping and sliding while trying to push the snowblower up the ramp than it was worth. A carrier on my hitch receiver was also a thought but some accounts require me to back up to walls and piles of snow so don't want to risk that. For now, I'll just put some more time in at the gym and work on my snowblower clean and snatch technique.
  5. bswalks

bswalks Member

Does the snowblower have chains on the tires? I think a set of folding aluminum ramps & chains on the tires, you shouldn't have any slipping
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is a single stage blower with no ability to self propel... The reason I say that is because it weighs 75 lbs. Also...I believe he's the one slipping and not the blower.
  7. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

You are correct. Single stage. While I used the ramps, they were 8 feet long. The bed of my flatbed is nearly 4 feet high so the angle is pretty steep. I usually blow the walks into the parking lot and then plow the lot so I'm standing in anywhere from 4-12 inches of snow while trying to push this up a steep ramp.

I envisioned something like a cheap Harbor Freight crane winch that I could swing over the edge of the bed and then use an electric winch attached to the hand operated winch to lift the blower over the bed and then swing it onto the bed. I could probably purchase the components for around $250. I also thought about using a hydraulic operated one but not sure how a cheap hydraulic system would work in cold weather.

Here's a link to a winch. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That will save your back for sure. Only draw back is that it's S..L..O..W. Just like ramps are a PITA I think that will be as well. As long as you don't have to do it often it might be ok though.
  9. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For the weight you're dealing with I'd nix the winch idea and use a rope and pulley setup on a boom that's mounted to the bed. faster than a winch low cost, low maintainance, no wiring and easy to remove when not needed.
  11. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

i used to put my blower ontop of my sander which was on top of my truck.......longer the ramp equals less pitch!!
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Look around for a used power tailgate--they are surprisingly cheap. Once you have one, you'll be amazed at all the things you do with it!