1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower (Helpers insured)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPC Services, Jan 11, 2007.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Got hit up tonight from my partner telling me that he needare snowblowers that are working for us to have liabiltiy insurance, I do not see the casue for that, Little in site please, where are goingto 1099 them as seasonal none employies. if we have the m sign a contract with us saying that they would pay for damages to porpertyies work or not.

I do not seeing them pay big money for insurance for like 300 400 bucks that they may or may not make

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Rickco

Rickco Member

No insurance=Big trouble. If you have subs. it is your responsibility To make sure they are insured. You say they are subs but they are using your equipment,well than thet're not subs but employees. That and the fact that they are going to pay for any damage. Well thats all well and good but how much money do they have? Stone takes out a $3,000 French door or customers coming around the corner and ends up losing an eye. This may sound a bit morbid but it could happen.
    Some people go through life and never have a issue but some don't. If push comes to shove then these guys are employees not subs. I would do some reading on the laws stating what you must do to be a subcontractor. Think real hard about where you're heading. I'm not picking on you,just tiring to give the best advice I can.

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Not sure about Iowa, but Michigan says:
    A subcontractor is an individual that provides labor to any person, or business, for the sum of such amount of dollars. Not per hour. If the individual relies on more than 50% of their income, from strictly you, then they are an employee. To be a sub, they must be licensed, where applicable, insured, and provide their own tools, and or materials, and must have a contract to provide said services, for the sum of said amount.

Touchy, but I would CYA ON THIS, REAL CLOSE.
    Otherwise, you get stuck with the bill!!!!
    Not trying to sound like a know it all, but I believe you need to look at your state laws.

4. SOSSW

SOSSW Junior Member

In Iowa, a subcontractor must provide proof of insurance to be considered such. When YOUR insurance company does an audit, do they ask for proof of insurance from your subcontractors?

5. TPC Services

thank all of you for the info that help out alot guess I was just woundering what kind of damage a snolower really can due , to me its not like there throwing snow all that hard to do any thing but you guys are right it take just one greaser that s doing this for you to be a pain,
    my other ? is though you are the contractor you sould have liabailty for all that works under or for you should'nt you??

6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

As far as insurance goes, i would practice safe sex. Make sure you have liability that covers all you do, and if using subs, make sure they have liability for all they do. This is a good start to avoid a potential screwing!!!!

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

whar are you going to do when you have nobody to run the snowblowers. gl insurance is pretty difficult to get plus its expensive. your guy make $600.00 to run a snowblower
    but the insurance is $800.00? .

john

8. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

why not require them to have their own snowblower? If not a snowblower then they can use a shovel. They are getting paid so they really shouldnt care. If they use their own equipment then they are a sub and are responsible for any damage or injury. Its just like running your own snowplow. If you wack another car in your plow while you are working whos insurance is going to cover it? Yours or the company you plow for?

Bottom line if they want to blow they need their own equipment. I wouldnt let someone else use my plow.......would you?

9. TPC Services

I can see the view both way I guess. I fell from my stand point of running a snowblower a few years back for my brother in law in the problem of the damage that may happen adding up alot, mainly because most of this work will me done at night with no one walking around to get hit my that 1 and 10,000 thing coming out and you sould now your surroundings when your pointing the discharge chute at. if your going down a parking lot with cars on one side and open grass on the other most smart person would have it throwing to the grass side!! but not every one has a brain on the also. If I caught you doing something that f--- stupid you would not be working for me as a employe or sub!!!!

Like I said I can see both sides of the problem and thank all for your input
    do not want to rub any one wrong by thinking that Im a fly in the dark operation, just one thats trying to grow with out the misstakes.

10. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

You will lose everything you own!

A local landscape company several years ago (5) was always bidding jobs lower than several of us who have been in business for many years.On a cold a snowy night one of his subs in a plow truck did some damage to a commercial site and on top of that brushed by a 5 year old playing outside with the plow knocking off his feet.To make a long story short,the sub had no insurance and the company who hired him had no insurance because they never charged enough to cover the premiums.This person lost his house,lost his business lost his equipment,his two trucks and more than all that put together his reputation.D'ont be a fool!Charge more for your service so you can get insurance to protect yourself,your family and business.