1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowblower for moving piles?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amars415, Feb 5, 2008.

1. amars415

amars415 Member

I am considering buying a snowblower for the back of my john deere utility tractor (28 hp) Medium frame size for reducing pile sizes. We have had so much snow here in central wisconsin that I am running out of room with my plow piles. I have an F 550 with a dump and my tractor has a loader on it, but I think that would be a waste of time trying to haul such small amounts at a time. The places that I have deffintely have lots of room for me to blow snow into lawns, woods, etc if I had a blower. Just wondering if anyone has used this method or not? I am specifically looking at a Lorenz snowblower because of the dual auger set up, and instead of augers, they use paddels to break up the snow.

In my mind I think that the snowblower would move the snow very well if it is fresh but if it is hard then I think I would need to break the piles up with the loader and then run the blower through it?? Sorry to be long winded thanks for any comments!
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The blowers are made for fresh snow. You try to run piles of frozen stuff thru it and you will be disapointed. Also 28 hp is not alot of power for a blower.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You will be better off hauling the snow and dumping it. You have the equipment and would save buying the blower. JMO
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a 5' Lorenz blower.

The augers have teeth on them, so when you back into a pile, it'll chew at the frozen stuff, not just bounce off like a normal blower.

28 hp IS a little under powered, but it'll work, just work 1/2 the blower at a time.

I've got a 6' on the back of a 43 hp Kubota.

If the pile is too frozen, I just bust it up with the loader first, and then blow away.

I've got a cab on my tractor, with a hydraulic chute to turn one way or the other without having to get out of the cab.

If you want to drive up to MN, you can look at mine. I'm buying a 60 hp Kubota and moving up to a 7' blower.

I can hook you up with a 43 hp Kubota that'll run this blower too...... ;)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  5. ltlm

ltlm Member

blowers work good to blow banks back. we do it all the time with front mount blowers. even hard frozen piles blow back with no problems you might only want a 5 footer. we have lots that want no piles on them so every time we plow we blow them.
  6. RipT

RipT Senior Member

28 HP should handle a 5' PTO blower pretty well.....I have a 30 hp NH and I am sure it would.

Assuming no cab..... Just pick days when the wind is in your favor !!!

Good Luck
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

ive never used a big blower like that. normall we will just use the big cat loader. but idk if you have someting like that avaliable to you.
  8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Don't use a blower to relocate piles!

I'm in Waupaca, We tried using out blower to move some piles the other day, bad idea! Bent the stage 1 auger on some ice! With our temperature changes lately there is way too much ice on the bottom of the piles!
    We rented a S185 bobcat for 210 a day, unlimited hours (24 hour period). Worked slick
  9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

We did this all the time with a John Deere 1070 38hp with a front mount Lorenz. You can see the machine in the link below. We moved so much snow and it wasn't fresh snow. We still have the tractor but now have a new John Deere 4410 with a blower and plow but we now have a Front End Loader with a plow to move banks. In the pictures in the link below, the blowers are removing about a foot of crusty frozen snow that had been sitting all winter long untouched on our tennis courts from December until they wanted them cleared for March.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

How big of extensions do you have on the side of the dump box? Could you make them bigger for more snow?
  11. Sybran

Sybran Junior Member

we just bought a JD 3520 with cab and rear mounted snowblower it works great when you get to the ice and chunky stuff just break it up with the loader
  12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

If there's plenty of room on site to blow snow, why not use the loader to move it around instead of transferring into the F550? Then you're not buying a blower attachment, and you're using equipment to its full potential.