1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower for 30-40 small residentials

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dwthomas, Dec 1, 2009.

1. dwthomas

dwthomas Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello,

We are looking for a snowblower that will service roughly 30-40 small residential driveways.
    We would be servicing central Ohio, and do not get enough snow to justify the purchase of a truck and plow. Simply looking for bit of supplemental income and a service that we can provide to some of our landscape clientle over the winter months.

We also thought of putting plows on our 52' zero-turns?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pretty sure you will NOT get that many drives done with a blower in a days time
    Unless they are all side by side.
    The time loading and unloading is a time killer.

3. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

I did it last year. 32 driveways and walkways. Most if not all were a single car driveway and a few were spaced on the same block, but i still did all of them in a dyas time.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Then you already have the equipment you need.

5. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Thats not the guy who made the thread, that was someone else...

6. rusty_keg_3

If you have 2-3 guys, i would get 2-3 snowblowers (single stage), and 4-6 shovels... If its just you, i would go for one big 2 stage, and some ramps, or one of those platforms you put in your hitch receiver....

7. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

You don't need ramps for any of the single blowers unless you have a bad back or not fit enough to lift 75-80 pounds blower to the tail gate. The hitch rack is a good idea, less up and down lifting, but you will coat your blower with road grime and most blowers don't have air cleaners just baffles. If you have a bunch of accounts in the same neighborhood that would be best. The Toro 421Q and 221Q are very fast as long as your drives don't get wider than 24 feet or so and are not longer than 75 feet. I have one account driveway that is 150' long and 16' wide half of the way and the other half is 35" wide. In less than ideal conditions with the wind blowing the Toro single will struggle on a drive like this. You will end up re-throwing snow with the Toro on the wider areas. This type of drive really requires a bigger 2-stage. Drives this size are better served with a plow and I'm only doing this one for a family friend. I specifically market to drives under 50 feet and typically narrower than 20 feet.

Frankly if I was stuck using only 2-stage blowers for residential I'd quit residential snow relocation. The load and unload time adds 3-5 min even with light weight folding ramp and a stout blower like my Honda HS1132 which handles tougher conditions with ease.

8. d8on27@msn.com

d8on27@msn.com Junior Member
    from iowa

This is good advice. We do up to 40-50 accounts with a Toro 3650 (best blower ever made IMO) and the new 421Q. Average around 5 an hour on a tight route with about 3 minutes average drive time between accts. 2 guys, two blowers, two shovels, and a bunch of salt. Bring extra gloves and go play in the snow.

Snapper and Honda also make good blowers.

9. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

how about a small 4x8' trailer for the blowers with a drop gate, be quick to load/unload

10. Exact Services

That would work and that is what I have planned for my back up vehicle a 4runner. I don't like towing a trailer in the winter but the snowmobilers do it all the time. Last winter on the big heavy nasty storms 18"+ over night and I was plowed it by a city/county plow and a trailer would of been next to impossible in that storm unless I was towing it with a snow cat.

The lifting and loading effort saved with a low trailer is a trade off with the issue of having to tow a trailer....YMMV

:waving:

11. Exact Services

What is the performance advantage with the Toro 3650 over the 421...?

Do you have the twin paddles or the triple version? Isn't the 3650 heavier?

12. rusty_keg_3

I know you dont need ramps for most single stages, i meant for a 2 stage...