1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower buring oil

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

My 8hp 24" troybilt blower started to burn oil last storm. It seems like their is a small loss of power, and smoke coming out of the carb area (below the muffler) What it the best thing to do for this? I got some of the "no smoke" liquid that is supposed to stop engines from burning oil, but is their somthing else I should do?
  2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Oil Additives

I know some people are going to hate hearing this,but I would not add any additives to the oil especially a small engine like your snowblower.These small engines work as hard as any gas engine,but they also get much more temperature heating/cooling cycles,and do not have the oiling system of a vehicle.Mechanic in a bottle is usually a gimmick.If you are seeing a loss in power and smoke like you say .I would get a compression check done and go from there.Has the oil ever been changed?what weight oil was used in it? how old is the engine?how many hours (approx) are on it? All these questions also play a roll in the troubleshooting.
  3. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

burning oil

Do not use any oil additives in a small engine. I was at a kohler engines training school and they showed us what those additives can do to a small engine. what model and year of troybilt is it and that should be covered under your warranty if it is not too old. watch your oil level. good luck
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Agreed- do not add any additives.
    you either have worn rings, burnt valves, worn valves, worn valve guides, or a bad headgasket. Headgasket is going to get worse fast and I mean fast if that is it, but anyway it's time for a rebuild. Possibly not a total rebuild- if the valve guides are bad they can be tough, but a valve can be reseated or replaced without tearing the whole engine apart.
  5. if you're buring oil, and you say it's losing power, it could be bad rings leading to a loss in compression. If you have a compression tester, do a compression test. You'll probably be looking at a top end rebuild. That's easy. :)