1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower broke... 2 days old

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hercules, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Hercules

Hercules Junior Member

I'd appreciate any help I can get right now, since there's a good 3/4 foot of snow outside and my snowblower just crapped out. It's a Honda 4 cycle.

I used the pull start, it started going just fine and after some time just died... didn't run. I tried to pull the cord to start it again but I can't even pull the cord, it's wedged in tight. The electric start doesn't work either.

Also, before it crapped out I noticed that the auger wasn't working even though I engaged it. Shortly thereafter it crapped out.

Thanks for any help.

2. chopcor

chopcor Junior Member

Herc- Did you happen to check the oil level after bringing this home? Most small engines are shipped "dry"(no oil, must be added before running)? Just a thought. Stan

3. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

It sounds like the motor siezed. does it have oil in it?
    lent mine to to a friend forgot to check oil mine went about 50 feet and just died
    hope it is not that, but from what you said it sounds like it
    good luck

4. Bummer... Yeah, sounds like she's seized up. Like chopcor said, nearly all engines are shipped with either no oil or just enough to keep things coated. Better get it looked at asap. The cylinder is prolly scored and the rings may be history, but the piston could be salvageable.

5. Hercules

Hercules Junior Member

It's not oil, I figured out the problem... the belt slipped from the auger and wrapped itself around the crankshaft.

Now I'm calling around to find a replacement belt, but it's fully working at least :)

6. cheesedawg1

cheesedawg1 Junior Member

I bought a toro 6.5 h/p snow pusher this morning for $740. After using it all day for about 10 driveways it has already has broken peices. The bottom part underneath where it gets the snow off the ground better came off. Less than 6 hours of use and it is already broken.

7. hey Hecr-glad to hear that you didn't smoke you motor. :cool:

8. doogiegh

doogiegh Junior Member

Where in nJ

Where in Nj are you and who did you buy it from? can it be fixed?

9. cheesedawg1

cheesedawg1 Junior Member

Re: Where in nJ

I bought it from the Toro Dealer in Columbus NJ. It should be able to be fixed.