1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower advice

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Hedgehog, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

How big is too big? I've been looking at trading my 24" ariens two stage snowthrower in for a new one. I feel my old one is on borrowed time and it has the cheesy aluminum gearcase. I was looking at the new ariens 36" snowthrower but didn't know if it is too hard to handle. They say sometimes bigger isn't always better. I also was curious on the standard transmission versus the new hydro. I have a big driveway and don't have any gates to go through. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Some of the big ones now steer like a walk behind mowers

3. tom in nh

tom in nh Junior Member

I have an older Simplicity 1390. It is a beast of a machine. At 37" wide, after an hour the machine will tell you where it wants to go! The standard transmission was the standard for years. Hydrostatic sounds expensive when something wears out or breaks....
    Good luck.
    Tom

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

It really depends on the terrain and types of snow that you encounter. The wider units tend to be heavier and get caught on cracks and edges. If you drive off walks and drives and get stuck in uneven situations, will you be able to manhandle the unit yourself.

If you handle 2 to 4 inch powder snow, by all means go wider. If you handle wet heavy stuff, then you might have to think about it. If you go wider without significantly increasing horsepower, you will be there awhile.

Had cub cadet 44 inchers with 23 HP. It handles anything you got in the augers. Fingertouch controls were hard to get used to but worked like a charm. Units got stuck on cracks and uneven sidewalks and really couldn't climb steeps but could go down them. Hard to pivot unit up into air and go over something because of the weight of auger housing. With the dual rear wheels, have never had to put chains on but imagine they would be real beasts with them on. You get a season out of skid shoes and cutting edge. Discharge chute has a deflector cable that is problematic(we just use a rubber door wedge). Just been wonderful machines which is unusual for the MTD/Cub Cadet line.

5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Oh I forgot They are electric start but have a manual pull start. If you go several blocks away and run out of gas or suck up a door mat, you can't get it started by the manual start. Its a long walk back