1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mobo, Dec 10, 2005.

1. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

Hi, I was wondering if anyone drive's around with there snowbear on the truck and if they use the hook that came with the plow? I would also like to say I have been told by many people to get a real plow but for the price this is a great plow for a homeowner. Second year for the plow and still warm when cleaning the snow up. :)
  2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I think the key is "homeowner plow". I seriously considered one last spring for doing my drive, but decided I wanted something that would stand up to more use. Ended up with an 8' western pro: used, for about twice the price. This fall I am doing three commercial lots and a couple of drives. I expect the snowbear is a good plow for its intended use.
  3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

I've had a snowbear for about 4 yrs ... never had a problem ... i use it for 3 small commercial lots about 3 miles from my house .... bought it for $500 on clearance from lowes .. made my money back and then more .... great for residential driveways .... and yes i do drive around with it on .. and on the freeways ... just my .002
  4. LISnow

LISnow Junior Member

Yes, Have the flexblade, loaded it on last week before the lame snow, then Friday had it on again for the snow that never came.

If someone tells me to get a real plow, I'll have pictures of someone with their hand under the blade to post. :D

I have it on a 3500 extended SRW, so it looks even smaller, but I only use it to clean two driveways. Only downside seems to be the back draging ability. Upside is $1500 (if anyone thinks I should get a "real plow" I'll send you my address and you can send the $2000 difference, and the money for maintenance of my front end) :waving: Also, I have the Class 3 version, so when not using the blade, I can mount my cargo tray when I use my truck camper... another plus is the wireless remote and the actuator instead of the winch.

I will post pics soon... but wanted some snow around before I take them.

What "hook" are you refering to, maybe the metal snow bear comes with something I'm not aware of? I had no problem at 60 MPH with plow on, very stable...

5. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

My Snowbear came from Sams Club well the name on mine is winter wolf. When I purchased it I have a metal hook that is for traveling they said its to take the weight off the winch. I also have the strap winch and not the chain style I have read about. For the people that tell me to get a real plow I just ignore them because I only paid $800.00 for my plow and they paid 3 to 5 thousand for there plows and mine does the same. The only thing I worry about it driving with it on the truck and if it will break the winch or strap with out using the hook.
  6. ymerejsregor

ymerejsregor Junior Member

I drive mine back and forth 20 miles to work to plow the lot at my store. Raise it all the way with the winch and then use the hook just as a safety in case the strap breaks (one in a million chance). If you lower it down to rest on the hook while driving, the plow will flop around. I was confused on this at first too. Also, I am in agreement with everyone else. For it's purpose, the Snowbear does a great job.

7. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Why bother to plow when it still left snow on the ground, might as well just just leave it like the right side of picture if that is all the plow can do. Yeah its light weight that's way it does not scrape or backdrag. You would at least need downpressure if you want to run a light weight plow like Sno-way. You get what you pay for Nice Ice Skating rink you have going there.
  8. ymerejsregor

Frankly, you don't need to be such a smart alec. Sarcastic comments on the pics were / are not the point of this post. The winch & hook were. FYI, however, I plowed and the lot was fine. What you see is AFTER another inch or so of snow had fallen. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument here. It just seems as though this entire forum is full of people who just want to cause problems. I really haven't hung out here much at all, but from what I have seen that seems to be the general feeling I get.

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I do not think his comment were that bad. He was just saying how it appears from your pictures the plow left a lot of snow on the ground after plowing. Which understanding what the snow-bear is, and how much it weighs I can totally understand.

It does look like it would be a nice ice skating rink though....:drinkup:

For non-commercial use like plowing your own drive way the snow-bear does and OK job. I would rather use a snow blower, but that is just me...
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  10. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Ok my comments were intended to stir the pot some, I have seen snowbears, winterwolf, and whatever other names they have on them over several years now. Used as they are intended will work decent for most people, However some who get plows start to take on more and start using the plow for more than it was intended to do. Your picture shows an ideal lot where you do not have to angle much or any at all. The manual angle of the snowbear can be a pain if you need to change it often, and the scrape and backdrag are affected by the its light weight. Thanks for the pictures and it does look like you have an improved lighting system over the standard lights that come with the plow, some details on your lights may help other owners with similar plows. Sorry for being an instigator, you were providing others with useful real hand information and pictures. My apologizes to any and all I offended.
  11. ymerejsregor

No hard feelings.

That's cool, man....no hard feelings. The lot you are looking at plus a 15' x 50' parking spot at home is all I plow, so a $500 clearance plow from Lowes does great in my situation. Right tool for the job, I guess.

Thanks for the compliment on the lights. I get some time, I will post.

12. jav1

jav1 Junior Member
    from MA

As a newbie here, I don't wish to ruffle feathers but it did come off as a dig. I'm buying a new plow setup now and have been looking at everything out there. I'm not crazy about this setup but for the money, it's a decent deal and its likely what I am buying. The funny thing is that most of the bashing comes from dealers that sell other more expensive units and those that have bought those name brand rigs. The guys that own these things are generally happy with them for what they are. To me that says that while the big names are truely "better", these are good enough for many and there are folks out there that don't like that. I would have bought a name brand rig today at twice the price - the problem is that even the lightduty name brand rigs are 3 times the price or more.

As far as preferring a snowblower- I hope you mean a truck mounted snowblower cuase I can't see any walk behind being as quick or as confortable as any plow setup. Cleaner - yes faster or better, I'd have to respectfully disagree.
  13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I meant prefer as in cleaner... Think about it is it leaves 1/2" of hard pack every time you plow how long before you now have over and 1" of hard pack to deal with...

You guys every thought of looking at a used plow set up for around $900 (at least around here) you can find decent used plow set up that have thicker metal scrape better and power angle... Might be a bit more difficult of an install, but worth (to me at least) just my thoughts...I guess we all will have different thought on this though...
  14. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Usually I drive with the hook on. There are times I am lazy and do not put it on..

I think the issue is not the chain breaking...as it is the hub spinning and the plow falling. I have had the hub spin a few times on me..just took a slight tighting of the u bolts on the hub to fix it...but if the winch ever failed.. (or chain/strap failed) the hook will be a lifesaver I am sure.

With a few years under my belt already...wouldn't trade the SB for the world. Easy. Cheap. Simple...and it works..

Plus...for many trucks (like most 2wd) it is the ONLY choice. I do not know of any other plow that would fit (properly) on my 94 Chevy 1500 v6 2wd pickup.

15. jav1

jav1 Junior Member
    from MA

I called 3 places for a used setup. Only 1 place had one. It was a used Meyer 6.5' (they didn't know the year). With new push plates $1950 +tax (cash and carry- no install).

Warranty was terrrible- 14 days - repair, replace or refund at thier discretion and then on the plow only- push plates were not returnable and no labor allowance if its dead and has to come off. lastly, no guarantee on a comperable replacement item being available at the time its determined the plow must be replaced.

All in alll, it didn't look like a reasonable deal to me.
  16. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

[Plus...for many trucks (like most 2wd) it is the ONLY choice. I do not know of any other plow that would fit (properly) on my 94 Chevy 1500 v6 2wd pickup.

That was my problem not many plows I could hook to my Astro:rolleyes:
    this past weeks 14" (yes it was fluff) was quick history compared to the hours I use to spend behind a blower (10HP /32" Ariens)
    As far as the hook (orig. question) I have not used it but would if I where transporting any distance..
  17. LISnow

LISnow Junior Member

I have the flexblade version, scrapes right to the ground, ice and all, backdraging it's light, but you backdrag off the light stuff, hit the sticky stuff again going forward, then backdrag again, cleans right to the pavement. :waving:

Got what I paid for, light weight, easy to handle, wireless remote, easy storage, no hydraulics, no rusting blade. :salute:

I'm happy. :D
  18. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

I dont have a snowbear but mine is similar in ways.

Mine uses the same winch as a snowbear. I do keep a safety chain on it for going down the highway, but Ive never actually had a problem with the winch slipping. Its just more of a safety thing, an electrical short could send the winch down. If I sit on the blade (putting about 2x the blade weight onto the blade itself), it will slowly wind the winch down. Mines been down the freeway at 70 mph and stays perfectly stable as well.

Scraping ability isnt all in the weight of the plow, but it is based on surface pressure. Before I put the scraper edge on mine, I made up a spreadsheet from a Boss or Western webpage, listing scraper thicknesses, lengths, and blade weights. They ranged from just under 12 PSI to almost 24 PSI, average being about 18 PSI. So I put an 11 ga. steel scraper edge on mine to get me about 10 PSI. And it scrapes quite well, some of the dirt in my driveway is showing after I plow it, looks just like a bigger plow did it. I dont know what kind of PSI a Snowbear scraper edge works out to, but it can be made to scrape just as well as a bigger plow by making up a scraper blade of a different thickness if necessary. A fab shop could shear the piece and punch slots in no time, or just burn it out. Dont set it any further out than you have to and it shouldnt bend.
  19. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

LIsnow, glad to hear the flexblade is working out well. I'm trying to decide which plow to put on my truck, and I like the idea of the receiver mount on this model. I'd like to mount a bike rack on the front of my truck some time in the future, as I too have a camper that monopolizes the rear trailer hitch in the summer.

What kind of truck do you have it on?

Did you buy it at a retailer, or did you mail order it? I'd like to take a look at one in person, but I don't know of any retailers that stock them...
    don't see many used snowbears advertised, of any type. wonder what that says?
  20. jav1

jav1 Junior Member
    from MA

FYI -

I talked to the Snowbear factory yesterday. The Flexiblade is discontinued and only available from dealer stock. They are only offering 2 plows this year in the Snowbear brand - the smaller SB50 and the larger PS200.

I was interested in some of the other plow options as some came with wireless controllers standard. It seems theres only 2 options now.

BTW- I asked why they were dropped and they said it was just a popularity / numbers thing. There weren't dropped due to any problems and they would still be warranty support for those that are bought from old inventory.