1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear winch cover

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by jeffsyardcare, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jeffsyardcare

jeffsyardcare Junior Member

I am wondering if anyone who has had problems with their winches, thought of making a cover for the winch. I used an old SB plow for two years, which was given to me. My winch "Bit the shed" last year at the worst time possible. Obviously a result from water and much use. I noticed many times this winch was getting dumped on with mounds of snow every snow storm, therefore when the plow was put away in a garage later the snow would then melt. Most likely shortening the life of the winch.

I am thinking of taking a plastic five gallon pale or one of my used plastic calcium tubs, and cutting it in such a way it will just rest over the winch and slip over the frame allowing the snow to fall off with gravity while plowing, keeping it somewhat dry. Maybe some bungee cords to make sure it does blow away while driving. Just some thoughts. If anyone else has come up with some ingenious device, I would love to see it.

2. sday88

sday88 Member

When I'm not plowing, I just cover mine with a tarp.

3. champlainl

champlainl Member

I bought an aftermarket winch cover for my winch think it was from greg smith supplies, it was really cheap less than 10 bucks with shipping and I bungeed it on, the cover was 3.50 and shipping to me was 5.50,it has worked so far, been through 3 storms and winch stays dry. Try googling greg smith.

4. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Thanks for the tip, Champlainl !! :drinkup:

I ordered Part# ATXW140 winch cover for 4,000lb. winch ($5.95 + $6.95 shipping = $12.90 total). Not too bad at all.
    The cover appears to be a type of synthetic canvas weave with a weather-proof liner.
    It fits over my SNOWBEAR (Superwinch) winch just fine.
    It is open on the bottom, so it won't hold crud or water.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-4-000-LB-Winch-Cover-p/atxw140.htm

It didn't have any type of fastening mechanism, but no biggie, I just wrapped an old boot lace around it and tied it snug.
    Now my winch is secure and dry! --- Too Cool! :nod:

Thanks again! :cool:
    J-Quad prsport

5. champlainl

champlainl Member

i ordered the...

3000 lb cover for my harbor freight winch (winch was $39 and cover was less than 10 with shipping included,we got a total of 25 inches this weekend and my SB worked flawlessy, great little plow and its bone dry too. Glad I could help.

6. jeffsyardcare

Winch cover

Thanks for the information! We had 12" of snow over the weekend. My SB works great. I plow 1200 feet of road and additional 75' driveway plus two additional private driveways. Works awesome. I am going to have to manufacture a quick connect/disconnect travel hitch that's much easier than the stock one. I have to travel on the road to do accounts and it's such a task to put on and remove the travel assist hook.

Takes too much time back and forth putting up and down the winch to place and remove it. AGAIN, thanks for the links for the cover.

7. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Jeff,
    Consider this: Some folks simply use a ratchet strap to secure the Upper and Lower A-Frames together. Such an action will relieve the plow weight tension from the winch, and still securing the blade up. Put a 6" piece of hose or plastic pipe over any sharp edges to keep your ratchet strap from fraying and you're in business.

Did you get your carved up 5-gallon bucket fitted for use as a protective winch cover?
    If so, how is that working for ya?

Happy Plowing & Good Luck!
    J-Quad

8. jeffsyardcare

Winch cover.

I did not cut out the plastic pale. I decided on puchasing fluid film. I brushed it all over the winch and connections, chain etc.... This seems to be working, as the winch beads up like applying wax to a painted finish. As far as your suggestion with the ratchet strap, I have been doing that as well. Just think this method can be dramatically improved. It's fairly quick, however, I am thinking more on the lines of, designing a piece of steel (1/4" flat bar maybe) bolted to the upper A frame. Not fixed, but able to move freely. It could hook up to the lower A frame with a quick hitch pin at the same point you would use the hook supplied by SB.

When not in use, can be quickly moved out of the way and, again, pinned for fast deployment for heading on the next job. Not something you can misplace in your truck. My strap I am using now, is long, so I store the extra in the front between the bumper and radiator and stick the ratchet under the hoom on a fender. Stays warm there and dry till I need it again. SB should have built something better for transporting. :realmad:

9. sday88

sday88 Member

How did you get this for $6.95 shipping? I just got off the phone with them and they charged me $10.95 for shipping. I told him that a guy on plowsite posted $6.95 and he said that was not correct. He then said he's giving me a deal because shipping is actually $11.95. At first I told him to just cancel my order. Then I searched the internet and couldn't find anything for less than $20. So I called them back and placed the order. I'm getting screwed here!

10. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

sday88,
    I don't know why the shipping costs would be different/more for you --- maybe because I'm in Michigan and you're in Ohio? :confused: :dizzy:

11. sday88

sday88 Member

The idiot told me that there was a flat shipping rate for up to whatever weight no matter where it went. Well, it's still cheaper than anything else I could find online.

12. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Maybe they just had a shipping rate increase or policy change....I don't know why or what changed.
    I just know what I paid for shipping and it was $6.95.
    They shipped it in a soft bag/envelope via US mail.

Never-the-less, I'm glad you located/ordered a winch cover and soon your winch will be glad you did too! wesport

J-Quad prsport

13. champlainl

champlainl Member

My shipping to NY was 5.95 back in october, must be the guy thinks hes got a hot commodity,I should call them myself and ask for a commission check for all his recent sales on these covers
    Bob

14. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried house wrap (e.g. Tyvek) for a cover?

15. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

I haven't tried it, but I'd guess Tyvek house wrap would work just fine, depending on if you drove with the cover on or not. I'm not too sure if any cover would hold up to 60mph head winds while you're going down the road for any amount of time. For sure it would be better than nothing while it lasted.

I think the main thing to consider with any winch cover is to keep it fastened on the winch but so it would be open at the bottom, so the cover doesn't hold any condensation, rain water or dirt.

I like my cover because it is open on the bottom. I simply tie a string around it to keep it secured on top of the winch. Realize though, I don't drive with the cover on the winch. If I'm not using the plow, the plow is off my Jeep and the winch is covered.

Good Luck!
    J-Quad