1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear Superwinch outdoor storage/quick release

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by theholycow, Oct 28, 2012.

1. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Earlier this year I bought a used Snowbear. I am so happy...no more hours of shoveling for me! Today I finally put it all together.

I have no garage. It is stored outside. Right now I've got a cover over the Superwinch so it doesn't get direct exposure to precipitation. How weather-resistant is it? It will certainly be subject to condensation and freeze-thaw cycles.

Has anyone created a quick-release system for it? It's not like you could replace the bolts with a common hitch pin; the cotter pin that secured the hitch pin wouldn't handle the stress (would it?). Only thing I can think of is wing nuts and well-lubricated threads but that'd be annoying enough that I'd probably still just cover it all winter.

2. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

I had a snowbear and work ed fine I just kept electrical cleaned on all connections

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yes they can freeze solid on you. I place a old salt bag over the winch, I'd recomend it! If off and not being used for a while just throw a tarp over whole plow. Never tried a quick release, I wouldnt bother with that. A bag seems to work great, havent had another frozen winch since.

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I continued searching and did find a few people discussing the issue and decided that I'm glad I covered it. I found that a battery box (as used on an RV or boat) is a good fit. It seems like it'll stay put but I added a single bungee cord. Sounds like that'll be good enough. One person reports good results using a piece of a motorcycle tire inner tube.

Some day if I get really bored I could probably hack up some kind of quick-release bracket, but I won't bother making it a priority.