1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear: SB50 or SB200?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Highland Ranger, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Junior Member

Was in Lowes looking at the snowbears.

SB50 is $1150

SB200 is $1500

Looks like the only difference is the height (6") and width (6") of the blade.

Less than 100 lbs weight difference.

Worth $350 more? (the 200)
  2. schnitz

schnitz Member

I've got the Snowbear 88". Good plow in my book. The strap setup kinda stinks, I'd order a couple extra. The light kit would be a good added purchase too. I scored mine for around $1400. The extra 6" in width is what really makes it worth it in my book. What do you intend to put it on?

In a while, Chet.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I thought the snowbears were cheaper than that.
  4. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Junior Member

Avalanche 2500 . . . . can actually handle a "real" plow but the $3500 I was quoted for a Fisher just doesn't make sense seeing as how its for a few medium size driveways.

I've cleared one of those driveways for the last ten years with a Toro lawn tractor, a 4' blade, wheel weights and chains - but I'm getting too old to freeze my butt off.

Other two were done with Snowblowers, and ditto - too old to look like Frosty from wind driven snow when I come in from blowing

Seems that this makes a lot of sense as a blower replacement (cheaper and fewer moving parts) and even the little blade will do better than a 4' x 1' high Toro snow blade.

A friend also did landscaping for a while and used Snowbears on backup trucks. Said they worked fine other than the annoyance of manual angle.

Just not sure its worth the extra 350 given that I did the driveway with a toy blade before.
  5. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Have used a SB standard size on my Astro last year.....never going back !!
    Have had everything from a Ford 1920 4wd tractor to 2 cycle snowblowers......the SB will surprise you. As guys say use it as intended and it will service you well.
    There is someone here on the forum in the midwest (Buffalo or Cleveland) that has a couple of vehicles and 'does' plow commercially and has for years using these plows.
    These plows also fit many vehicles,mine included ,that could never be fitted otherwise.
    I have four rental properties that I own and this product has been outstanding.One of my tenant plows for a commercial contractor and laughed when I first showed up to plow last year,he doen't laugh anymore. Instead whenever I showed up this summer, he shows his buddies the frame piece showing on the front of my Astro and tells them of the great job this little plow does. Best,how he had to eat crow when he realized my money was not wasted !!
    Yeah it's not a Blizzard,Fisher,Western,or whatever but it does the job it was designed for....
    Hey I have a cabinet base Powermatic tablesaw but sometimes I have an onsite job that my $100.00 throw in the back of the truck cheapy Delta does just fine on...get my drift :nod:
  6. MR PLOW

MR PLOW Junior Member

SnowBear Plowing

I have been using snowbear plows commercially for years.
    See my website for photos of the 2 snowbear plows I use.

email john@mr-plow.com
    phone # 516 984-6417
  7. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Hey Mr-Plow, you have a nice little web site :) I've been thinking of doing something like that. Great idea!
  8. MR PLOW

MR PLOW Junior Member

Web Site

Thanks Chris -R
    Since I built the web site last year, my plowing has doubled.
    I have the web site on the back windows of my trucks and
    I cant believe all the hits and jobs it has produced. :blush2:

e mail: john@mr-plow.com