1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear Reverse Plowing

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dougiu, Nov 18, 2009.

1. dougiu

dougiu Junior Member
    from Indiana

I recently bought and installed an 82" Snowbear plow. I have nevered plowed.

What is the reason that Snowbears are no good at reverse plowing?
    Not enough weight? Not designed for that purpose?

I wondered if I either add a little weight (maybe 50-100 lbs) to the blade that it would help or maybe add a second scraper to the back edge.

As I said, this is my first plowing season and I was just wondered if there were any changes / improvements that I might try before the snow starts falling.

Thanks, Doug
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have ner used one but I think they don't back drag good becouse they are to light.
  3. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

i put a 82 x 6x 1/2" cutting blade, it weighs 75lbs alone
  4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I put a T10 1/2 inch cutting edge on my it helped in light snow but heavy wet snow it still didn't do much, it would ride right up over the snow. I was still a great pusher. But I finally got a full angle plow and no longer have to jump out and angle the plow :) thank god
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here, I would backdrag with my snowbear and it would ride up over the snow no matter how many times I tried at the same spot. I thought it was the balls for pushing, but started getting annoyed with the angling in the middle of snow storms, then the winches started failing left and right, then the brackets bent, etc. I got my fisher for less than the snowbear, sold my snowbear for $500 after 3 seasons,and haven't looked back.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The back drag edge would be most effective. It needs to have enough angle on it so when pulling the plow backwards the snow forces the blade down.