1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear power angler

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dgresetar, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

Finaly get those pics for the angler you wanted. Have a h-- of a time logging on any more. Dont know what am doing wrong but it takes me a long time and alot of tries to get on. Hopfully the pics come thru O'K'. Thought i would just start a new thread for these.

2nd winch side top.jpg

side veiw mount.jpg

2. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

more pics

couple more pics. let me know what you want to see.

cable guide.jpg

cable plow anchor point.jpg

3. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

thanks DG....:yow!:

4. fergus7

fergus7 Junior Member

very good idea how did you get the winch cable to work going in both directions with out binding. I mean when going to the left or right what stops the cable from getting bound up??
    regards
    rod

5. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

no binding...yet

the cable is wound in opposite directions, one coming off the top of the spool.one off the bottom. actaully it's one cable divided in half. when i angle in one direction one cable is rolling on to the spool while the other cable is coming off. if it's wound properly each one will end up coming off the spool towards the outside edges of spool. have never had that problem and i've been using for about a year and 1/2.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  6. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

finally a thread not trash talkin snow bear .... i realize its not the best .. but for the money ... ive had mine for about 4 yrs ... only spent $500 on it ... made my money back in a week ... doesnt tear the heck out of your suspension ... and when you take it off in the off season .. you cant tell you even have a mount system ... BTW love the mechanism for the power angle ... very unique engineering ...

7. fergus7

fergus7 Junior Member

My next door neighbor has one on his F 250 he plows about 1/4 mile of long driveway for as long as he can if it gets to bad he calls in the other neighbor with the 7 foot blower on the tractor his snow bear which I installed for him works fine for what he does since he does not go fast I think at the time he got it it was 999.00 canadian and that was with the mounts included it was some type of deal he got when they first came out here in Nova Scotia.
    regards
    rod

8. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

out of laziness

thanks ground. I got a brother who owns a machine shop. He gave me help on it. Just got tired of getting out of the truck. fiquired there had to be a way. I like my snowbear, it really hasnt given me any problems and i dont know what your neighbor is doing ferg but i hasnt been stopped yet. Played alittle last year down the street. had a 3 to 4 foot drift thought i would play with. It didnt go right thru like butter but couple of passes and it was gone.

9. fergus7

fergus7 Junior Member

well I am plowing with a 91 S10 with 4.3 engine and very old fisher 6 foot 6 blade on it I have all the hydraulic parts but the pump mounting bracket. I have been lifting it by hand with a come a long puller last year this year I have the winch on it to lift it but not to angle it. I only do my own driveway and yard. I have had this plow a long time had it mounted on a JD A tractor on the front and a david brown 990 funny thing is I sold it to the local garbage contractor who put it in his yard for 5 years or so then went out and bought it back from him for same price. The pump and controls I got separately in another deal. Only concern I would have with a snow bear on the street would be hitting a curb or hidden object under the snow even if you had to reinforce the blade a bit it would still be worth it. Right after I bolted on the neighbors blade his wife backed out of the garage and did not have one lock pin in and it bent the pipe mount end I went up and gave it a few whacks with the 12 pound fence maul that straightened it out as we say up here few problems can't be fixed with a big enough hammer.
    regards
    rod

10. bond1973

bond1973 Junior Member

Snowbear

I've been looking at this plow at Lowe's. It's priced at $1150 and I'd have to install it. Sure...the idea of getting out to angle doesn't thrill me, but neither does the price tag on a nice new plow. I've got a 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Ext. Cab truck and my driveway is about 400 feet long maybe...pretty good incline coming in from the road up to the house and it's all dirt, rock, gravel (very little gravel...mostly dirt and rock) and it's uneven. I've got a guy plowing it for now at $30 a pop which isn't bad considering that $ gets me a cleaning to get in and out the driveway and then a touch-up job after the snow stops falling. Anyway....I'm just wondering how well the Snowbear would hold up to my dirt, rock, jagged driveway. Any thoughts?

11. fergus7

fergus7 Junior Member

Probably quite well the neigbor has the skid shoes on his and has it set up a bit so that the rocks are not getting taken off the driveway he goes very slowly and if we have a really big storm he gets the snow blower in on 784 international with 7 foot blower that move it for sure.
    regards
    rod

12. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

That looks like a good set up. I have a snowbear, i woulend mind doing the same thing on mine. ;)

13. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

14. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

snowbear

bond, dune said it. I've had mine for 3 seasons(this is the 4th) you have to remember it's a personnal/non-comercial plow. it will hold up if you take care of it. I have'nt had any problems with mine . I've done some revisions to mine but the basic parts are unchanged. I plow a few neighbors and friends. it gets used but it's held up pretty while. I guess if i wanted to do a few commercial places it would be fine. The lite weight is really what sold me. just order the shoes for it. they work fine on my gravel drive. Blue glad you like it. Like i wrote earlier,getting lazy in my old age. Nothing out on the market for these plows so had to do it my self. works well and keeps me warm.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  15. RSK

RSK Senior Member

do you have any pic with the plow on the truck?

16. RSK

RSK Senior Member

do you have any more pic of the plow

17. RSK

RSK Senior Member

if you trun the plow from the left to the right when plowing how good will
    it push the snow thank's

18. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Bond1973,
    I had one for 3 years and plowed my 300' + Long drive and 2 turn around plus the street and nearby intersection will try to post pic of intersection .
    Mark

S-10 1.JPG

S-10 3.JPG

19. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Light Duty Plows

There are many folks on here that would say you couldnt do it if you didnt show them. I sure am glad you did. I think many underestimate these light duty plows. They are not as light duty as most think.

I salute you and all the light duty guys. :salute:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  20. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

pics

RSK. got one pic of the mounted plow on another thread "done for the day". does'nt show much but it's there. have no problem changing the angle while i'm moving but i try not to. i usaully stop slightly raise the plow then angle it. no stress on the winch that way. while pushing snow it holds the angle ,or keeps it straight if thats the case with no problem. if you let me know what you want to see i'll try to get pics up here. you have to have patience with me. I drive a truck for a living, alot of weeks i leave out sunday night or monday mourning and don't get home till friday night,so it may take me a bit to get them up. next time the plows on i'll get some pics. doesn't sound like we have any plowable snow coming anytime soon tho. the wifes winter vehicle so i don't leave it on the truck.:)