1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowbear plows

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by theoleskeeter, Dec 12, 2009.

1. theoleskeeter

theoleskeeter Junior Member

Hj Guy's I have been on both the sams club and the home depot sites and for the love of me can't find a cheap plow at either store. I would like to see one up close and personal if you know what I mean:help: I would love to get one for my 95 Dakota and need help:dizzy:

2. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

3. wolverine113

wolverine113 Junior Member

Link is pretty iseless

All it is is a phone # and an email address. If you email it, they never respond. If you call, they claim Sam's Club, Lowe's, and Tractor Supply sell them but the store web sites don't list them and if you talk to the stores, they act like your crazy for asking because they have never heard of them. I can only find them through websites like Northern Tool, snowplowstuff.com, etc or used on craigslist.

4. dreaming

dreaming Junior Member
    from buffalo

hey i jest came from lowes thay can order them.you have to go to the garden center

5. champlainl

champlainl Member

check craigslist as that is where I found mine,there is usually a couple in ebay too,why pay full price,these are pretty awesome little plows

6. Kyleb1115

Kyleb1115 Junior Member

i got mine from craigslist. there were a few listed. i plan on going into lowed and see if they do have them and if they can get parts (could be useful to know)

7. antjmar

antjmar Junior Member

I bought a floor model from Lowes 2 years ago. Not all stores carry them and they DO NOT carry any parts.... thats one of the negatives of these plow parts are only available from snowbear.com they are expensive and they are in Canada.
    Also, If you still didnt buy one yet I recommend calling for your vehicle mounts ASAP. I believe they close for 2 weeks around Christmas to New Years. :dizzy:I couldnt believe they closed during the busiest season for plows but they did last year. you can also find the mounts on e-bay

8. wolverine113

I ordered one from Lowe's last week. They said it would take 4-6 days to arrive. Well it's now 7 days so I called Lowe's and they said Snowbear just shipped it today so I'm looking at another week at least with the holidays. I wish they would have told me 2 weeks up front instead of lying about it.

9. grandchero97

grandchero97 Junior Member

how many bone$ u had to drop to get one:drinkup:

10. antjmar

antjmar Junior Member

If I were you I'd call snowbear and ask them to ship your mounts or else you are going to have to wait another week after you get the plow to install it!

11. wolverine113

Plow finally came after 15 days instead of 4-6 days. The good news is the mount kit came shipped with the plow. Hopefully I'll get it put together tomorrow. Cost for 88" model was $1,649 at Lowe's including the mount kit. That is about $300-$400 cheaper than what I saw from the online retailers.

12. ArcticCat1

ArcticCat1 Member

Let us know how plow works! Where in MI you live? Here in Linden haven't had a snowfall yet to use my snowbear, which I bought at the end of last winter.

13. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Wolverine113,
    I did not know that the SNOWBEAR store locator link would not be of any help. Sorry.

I am glad to hear that you were able to obtain plow from your local Lowe's store. Although it took a week or so longer to arrive, I'd say the amount of savings you realized made it worth the extra wait! payup

I don't know if you have plowing experience or not, what you plan to install it on or how much you intend to use it, but I'll throw these suggestions out anyway:

-- I recommend adding the end marker poles, the top deflector and the two skid cups. They made my plowing easier and I can do a better job with them.

-- If you plan to travel down the road with the plow on or simply plan to leave it on your vehicle all season, I'd recommend that you use some sort of binder, chain with a bolt, strap, etc. to hold the lower A-frame up toward the winch frame in order to take the strain off of the winch when not in use. Your winch will thank you for it by living longer.

-- If you do not plan to store the plow inside out of the weather when you're not using it, then I'd recommend that you obtain a weather-proof cover to go over the winch and gear drive unit. When the winch is warm from use, any snow that falls on it will melt and the water will run into the winch and gear drive. Then when it does cool off, it will freeze inside; - not a good thing. Only if it can stay warm long enough to dry out the inner workings, would I not consider using a cover.

Good Luck!
    J-Quad prsport

14. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I definitely agree with the above statement of adding the markers, and keeping the winch inside, or covered. I'd also add an electric friendly grease or anti seize on the winch terminals. If these rust use they might need cleaned, and can snap off if too rusty. Thats why I had to replace the factory winch. i disagree on the skids, but I plow some pavement, and need a clean swipe. Some people like them for gravel, but I don't care for them.

15. wolverine113

I'm in Lapeer and we got 6-8" last night so I finally got to use the plow and it worked well. Thanks for the tips. I got a winch cover from Greg Smith Industries which was recommended in another thread and it fits perfectly. I bought the heavy duty skid shoes but it made the plow blade sit very high so I took them off. My gravel is very hard packed right now so I don't think it is making a huge difference. I won't be driving the truck for anything else other than plowing so the travel issue is not big for me. I would like to put a switch on the lights. It's a pain connecting and disconnecting every time.

Thanks everyone for the tips and I'm excited for more snow to improve my plowing skills!

16. ArcticCat1

ArcticCat1 Member

Wolverine-- Here in Linden we got 5". Used my SB today for the first time too... and realized some pre-planning before I started pushing snow helps, especially when we have to manually move plow from side to side! Takes time to learn better plowing skills. Its fun learning though! :drinkup:

17. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Hi Guys,
    Here in Stanton, we received about 6" and the SB handled it just fine. (But I did some plowing that pointed my Jeep down hill, and when I went to back up the hill, I quickly realized that I could use some more weight in the back!)

Agreed, some pre-planning as to where and how far to push the snow is a good idea, otherwise you may find yourself needing to either move snow banks or just regret where you put them. Just consider that where ever you put/stack the snow is where it will stay until Spring...AND any more snow that will be plowed will have to be packed behind it - so leave some room for future snow banks. Don't plan on the banks melting before the next plow event.

As far as turning the blade, after a few snow events, I found my pre-planning allowed me to simply leave the blade in a 'throw snow to the right' stance and it all works out. So I don't move the angle of the blade all season.

J-Quad :D

18. wolverine113

I use marine grade grease on all electrical parts. I learned that trick from my RV experiences. It keeps contacts from rusting away.

19. cagrant1974

cagrant1974 Junior Member

wolverine113 I am interested in buying the snowbear skids if you dont want them,,,,email me cagrant1974@yahoo.com I live in sterling Heights....Thanks

20. Diemaker

Diemaker Junior Member

I would suggest keeping the plow shoes as they are useable in late fall & early spring when the ground & gravel are not frozen.