1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SNOWBEAR OWNERS-please read!

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Sep 28, 2004.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Greetings all, hope your enjoying the warm weather.

Im not here to cause a debate, just wanted anyone who has a snowbear to please post a picture of their setup. I just wanted to see one and take it for consideration. Im a little tight on money, so just wanted to check it out.

ANY snowbear owners, please post a picture.

Thanks, Think Snow.
  2. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

This site might help.

3. catskill

catskill Junior Member

Snowbear's Junk

Lol...get A Real Plow
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Will the snowbear bashing ever stop?? I don't own one and probably never will but this is the PERSONAL USE PLOWING Forum. Why can't a person ask a question about a snowbear without first buying a flame suit? Most people that own one say they work fine for personal use. I would rather use one than a shovel any-day. The people that bash them and say they break probably are a little too rough on them and should probably steer clear of them. I would just someday like to see someone's question get answered without a "Lol...get A Real Plow" comment. What is the purpose????
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For what it's worth, I agree with Crumm. This is the appropriate place that a person should ask questions about personal use plows. As long as a person knows what they are getting and wasn't mislead, their choice of equipment is their business. Much the same as the lawn care business. While I'm sure quite a few of you would recommend a $7,000 ZTR; for me to mow my 1/2 acre yard once or twice a month that would be ridiculous.
  6. catskill

catskill Junior Member

Your Money Crumm

hey a toro power shovel is better than a shovel(sometimes).sad to say i owned a snowbear,and yes it did the job,and it also broke more than i care to say.just thought i would steer you towards something better.sorry if i offended you crumm.
  7. Th3DuKe

Th3DuKe Junior Member

I've got one, I'll take some pics and send them up.

let me first say, I'm new to the board and this is my first post. So please be gentle I've seen alot of flamming of the SnowBear Personal Plow. Therefore I would appreciate not getting flamed since the information I'm posting is based on my experiences so far.

I just bought one this week from Walmart...

I started the assembly last night, and the setup is pretty easy. From what I can tell the parts appear to be good quality. I'll take some pictures of it tonight and put them up.

I chose this plow since it was readily available, and I use my truck (94 Dakota) as a daily driver. The setup suppose to be easy; and I wanted a plow that I could easily take off my truck when I didn't need it.

I live in the country, on a 1.5 Km dirt road in Canada, Quebec. We get a lot of snow down here and I'm hoping to save some money by plowing our road myself this year. At the same time put my tired snow blower to rest for the driveway; My driveway is 140' by 32'.

I know I have big expectations for this plow but I'm hoping the experience will be good. Either way I'll let you know how it turns out.
  8. Mick

from Maine

Th3DuKe, welcome to Plow Site. I think it would be good to get impressions from a new owner as you go through set up, initial and long term impressions. It sounds like you bought it with the right idea - using it for your own driveway and not expecting it to be a commercial plow.
  9. bobingardner

TheDuke, does the plow have a metal moldboard. I saw one at Home Depot today and didn't think it looked bad for the price. It had a orange 19" full trip metal moldboard with two trip springs and a metal scraper. There weren't any hydrolics but it had an electric wench to lift the blade.

I thought snowbear only came with the Flexblade.

It'll be interesting to see how it works for you. By the way, welcome.
  10. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Welcome Th3duke

catskill, No offense taken. I am just tired of the bashing. We come to this board to get help and it seems every time a snowbear owner needs help all he gets is :yow!: . I don't own a snowbear nor do I plan on getting one but I will help anyone that owns one anyway I can.

Th3duke, Welcome to the site and good luck with your new plow. Since you are doing your own driveway I am sure you know where all the obstacles are. Just plow with the storm and don't cowboy it and I am sure the snowbear will last you for many years to come.
  11. Th3DuKe

Th3DuKe Junior Member

Got it all setup, I'll post the pictures tonight.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board. I finally finished the install last night it took me about 4 hours to put it all together without the wiring done, and I've never put a plow together so if I can do anyone can.

Like I said at first glance the parts seemed to be good quality. However the only complaint I have is the fasteners that came with the kit -- it comes with a whole bunch of bolts and nuts (~40 or so) and something like 4 washers. So this is where I have an issue, 4 washers doesn't cut it... I had to add about a dozen 5/16 washers so the bolts would seat right. Other than that the kit is well documented and easy to put together.

One cool thing is the fast service; I bought the plow on Monday, phoned them on Tuesday and the mount for my truck was delivered on Thursday. So I installed that last night too; man that mount is sweet (it's like a shadow mount setup).

Overall this kit is really easy to install, a trained monkey could do it.

My apologies for not getting the pictures on yet, I'll post them tonight; had to run out pretty quick this morning and forgot to bring the camera cable to post them (duh!!). Anyway I'll post them tonight for sure.

bobingardner :nod: it's orange and it's all Metal, it's 19" wide and 6' 10 inch long. Sounds like the one you're describing is what I bought. BTW: the sticker s that come with it say "Pro Shovel" but the manufacturer snowbear.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  12. Th3DuKe

Th3DuKe Junior Member

As promised here are the pictures

Here they are

13. Mick

from Maine

Actually, it looks like that's going to be a nice little unit for your driveway. Now, just plan it for a minimum of directional changes so you don't need to change angle. Can you maybe fabricate some wings for trail-off? The other thing to look into is pre-treating to melt some snow so you're not trying to push so much at once.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  14. Th3DuKe

Th3DuKe Junior Member

Thanks for the tips... but what do you mean by trail-off? I've never plowed before, so hopefully this is a pleasant experience. For the first time in 25 years I'm anxious for it to snow. :)
  15. Mick

from Maine

When you push snow, the moldboard (blade) gets full. If the moldboard is angled and you push less than the full width, snow will be directed toward the angled side closest to the vehicle. If the moldboard is not angled or you push the full width, snow will come around the side(s). When it comes around to a side where you've already plowed, it forms a "trail" or ridge. This is termed "trail-off" and is a major source of frustration as now you have to push this trail. There are several solutions to avoid trail-off, such as V-plows (hinged in the middle and can be formed into a "V"), or "wings" which are bolted onto each side of the plow. If made at right angles to the plow it will "capture" the snow allowing you to push it without spill over the sides. The other purpose for wings to to extend the length of the moldboard, usually by about 6" - 12" on each side.
  16. bobingardner

I'm new at this also but I think trail-off refers to the snow that "leaks" around the edges of the plow. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said I'm a novice but my suggestion would be keep up with the snowfall and not wait until there's 12" on the ground before you make a pass. I have a light duty Fisher and plan to plow every three inches or so. How does the wench wiring connect to the truck?

May your first plow be as memorable as your first love. :drinkup:
  17. Th3DuKe

Th3DuKe Junior Member

Thanks for the explanations... That makes alot of sense I should give snowbear a call to see it they have anything that can be added to the sides; or I'll just weld a couple of plates with some bolts attached and tack a few pieces of tubing to each side to slide the plates on (just a brain fart).

As for the wiring, what a joke! it took me (without exaggeration) 5 minutes and it was wired up. just hook up the 2 wires to the battery with the included relay and plug everything in (it all snaps together, wiring harness is slick). :)

Wish me luck, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

18. catskill

catskill Junior Member

May The Force Be With You

good luck with it duke!
  19. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Hmm - I've never seen a Snowbear. It looks like a nice little plow. The two biggest gripes I've read about them are the winch lift and the manual angle. But with a little work, I could see someone converting them over to fully hydraulic. Acutally, it doesn't look too hard to do.

Let us know how it hold up!
  20. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

i have a neighbor that has a plow like this, he has used with with an older jeep 1/4 truck. does his medium size driveway ok. with the manual angle you have to plan you passes well and plow every 3 inches of snow or it will get too mush for the unit. good luck.