1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear: Mount the lights right on the plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by delagem, Jan 8, 2009.

1. delagem

delagem Member

I've read thru all the posts on putting headlights/turn signals on a Snowbear; buying the $140 "offroad" OEM lights, adapting other mfgrs lights, fabbing your own, etc. What's wrong with bolting a couple of cheap lights from Harbor Freight right to the top of the plow? Set them up so they shine properly when the plow is fully up; when they're down my truck's headlights will work just fine. Seems like a $22 fix; a set of headlights, and a set of turn signals, some wiring and an hour of my time....

Possible problems: vibration blowing the bulbs? Deep snow breaking the lights? Anything else?

The main reason I ask is when I drive around now, I see the occasional confused person as I approach a green light; likely they can't see my turn signal? It is a full-size truck with a teeny little plow, but maybe?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ant thing you make will probably be better than the factory from snow-bear .just make the brackets heavy enough to Handel vibration . :salute:
  3. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

Filaments will last about two seconds.

In my opinion, the shocks and vibration will kill the bulbs quickly. Hot filaments are not very strong, your suspension takes up the shock for vehicle mounted lights, but the snowboard will bounce around way too much for directly mounted lights. After all of the work to mount the lights, you'll find them to be unusable. If you try it anyway, be sure to bring a big bag of replacement bulbs with you.
  4. kenidaho

kenidaho Junior Member

The other problem that I see is that how would you aim your lights if they were on top of the plow? If you adjust the height or angle then the focus will be off.