1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowbear- How much snow can it push?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by skinut2234, Jan 22, 2005.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

After this weekends storm- I am kicking myself for not buying the plow- I can get it at Lowes for around 1100 bucks- I just plan on using it to do a few residential driveways- all long and straight.... Question- Is there a limit to how much snow I can push in one straight shot?? Is there a chance I can damage the blade?? I am not worried about the truck- It's a full sized F250 with a V10 so the power is there.... Could I move a foot of snow down the straight driveway without an issue?? My driveway is about 100ft.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It would probly not have a problem with 12" of powder. Its really not supposed to be used for more then 6" or so. I have never used one so i will let someone who runs one reply. If you have not got the plow yet, why not go with a better plow? I know you only plan on a few drives but the snowbear may not hold up as well with all that truck behind it, you probley won't even be able to see it on the ground in front of you when your plowing.

3. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

I have a SB300 flex blade plow and have plowed 3 foot drifts w/o problems, I do 8 residential driveways and haven't got stuck yet,cut the crap guys, these plows aren't as bad as they would want you to believe.They meaning the "bigger Plow Guys"that spent 2-4 times as much $$$, who cares, as long as it works.I don't bull it ,that is the key, and it works great,better than a blower, no comparison!!

4. schnitz

schnitz Member

Mine had done alright up to 9" of fluff. It did however break the strap to raise and lower the plow. I would say though that with a truck the size of yours, I'd get a slightly bigger plow.... Meyers or Western. I can see mine just fine with a '93 2wd C1500. It never fails to amaze me when you see new "customers" come knocking just because you plow. The only reason I didn't get a Meyers or Western was that all the local dealers told me that they couldn't put a plow on my truck. It works if you think before plowing, but there is no down pressure on the plow for backdragging. If you got more questions, just type away.

5. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

I have yet to find a limit to what this plow can do....12+ inches I have done before...snow that sat a week (while we were in FLA sailing) It went through it like butter...2wd 94 chevy pu 1500.

Going to have a good test tonight..24-36" coming south of Boston. it is light..so it should not have a problem.

As much as I love the SB plow...If I had that rig (250) I would get a 'real' plow. The lil SB might look like a toy on it...but it will work very well.

I keep hearing things about 'straps'. My SB has a chain to lift the plow...is the strap a new or old part? No problem with the chain. works quite well.

The SB is the best 'Value' out there IMO. But sometimes you just need something better depending on what you are going to do. For driveways, small parking lots. It is great. Start doing mall parking lots, streets..get something larger.

Paul

6. schnitz

schnitz Member

I'm not sure how new the strap deal is, but that idea just stinks. I totally agree with the bang for the buck.

7. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Thanks all-
    Believe me- I would love bigger plow- but right now cash is tight.... It's hard to justify 3500+ for a nice setup for a few storms and a few driveways....
    I'd love the full setup with nice Meyers or Western- but I am on a budget...
    It HAS to be better than the 2 hours of snowblowing in 10 deg weather for a long, straight driveway.... is there something else a little better in between price wise?? If so- I have not seen it.... Seems as through there is the SNo-Bear and Snowsport models and then you jump right up to the big boys up in the 3-4,000 dollar range... Right now- I don't have the cash to spend...
    Any opinions??

8. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

It's shorter than most plows, but it's not unbelievably short.

Even with a Fisher, snow easily gets over the height of the blade, yet forms a pile in front of it.

9. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Can't see a Fisher too welll either.. only on the sides :nod:

10. Zak Man

Zak Man Junior Member

The Snowbear works like any other plow. Angle the blade and as you push,
    the snow will roll off to the angled side. Use the skid shoes if you plow on gravel or dirt so the blade won't be prone to grab on the rough surface.

11. Zak Man

Zak Man Junior Member

About the strap...I bought my Snowbear last winter. The winch has the strap.
    How old is the chain-winch model? I'll have to try a chain or cable when my strap breaks.

12. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

I think the new plows are using a web strap,chain for those a year or two old and steel cable was used before that.......
    I believe there had been trouble with the cable "memory" /kinking.....they probably stopped using chain because of cost (my opinion).........and back to question of this thread ...I have yet to find any snow the plow would not handle...
    as far as the moldboard being a bit short ....attach a solid deflector and it will stack snow pretty well.......

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  13. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

F250 with a lowes plow. I saw a hummer with one on it. That looked funny. I wondered why someone with a hummer either pony up the $$ for a western, or get someone to do his work for them. Not knocking you or the plow, just saying what I thought. Couldn't you find a used plow? They are hard to come by, but if you know who to talk to you can usually find one. Around the older used ones you can get for 500 for a good deal. For only a few drives a nice snowblower might work for ya also.

14. schnitz

schnitz Member

Has anybody got a picture of a chain on the Snowbear? I just put a cable on mine to replace the strap. I'm ordering two new straps on Monday.

15. Smush

Smush Junior Member

Hey Skinut... I have a snowbear plow off a 92 s-10 blazer. Let me now if you are interested in buying it.. I could sell it for $850 or obo... it was just installed this october and barely used. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks

16. PhantomRacer

from boston

If you click on the pics on my website..it will enlarge them. I don't have a closeup of the chain/winch..but it may help: Snowbear plow + chevy truck

Paul

17. PhantomRacer

from boston

Got arount to taking a pic of it. Works flawlessly for me. No idea why they changed to a strap

[​IMG]

18. PhantomRacer

from boston

Speaking of how much can it push...here is a shot I took today, now that the bizzard of 2005 is over (~30" in our area).

Snowbear saved the day. Wanted to stay ahead of the snow....I planned on going out every couple hours overnight...yea right...fell asleep. Went out at 10 pm. plowed 4-5"..then fell asleep. Woke up @7 or so. 7:30 in the truck...snow 14+" on the ground...2wd truck with snow tires...saved the day. Took a bit to clear it all...but worked well. It was a challenge... I can see how a 'real' rig+plow would have been easier..but this was certainly better than shoveling or snowblowing!!

Here is a shot of the mound I made in the driveway. it is higher than a car. if you look carefully....you can see one of our cars behind it. The mound is taller than it!

Snowbear rocks!

[​IMG]

Paul

19. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

Dude, its not the plow; its the amount of snow! I used to have a dodge dakota, with a 6.5 foot fisher "real" plow to do my 500' gravel driveway. (I'm up on the North Shore). I made the same mistake one time...plowed at 10pm, with the same intent on getting up every few hours...but fell asleep. :sleeping: :rolleyes: and this was heavy, wet snow, too. anyway, next morning, there was 18" (above the blade) of snow, and I knew I was in big trouble. couldn't possibly push my way out, because the truck simply can't push that much snow. even with a "real" plow...doesn't make a different.

I couldn't even lift the blade above the snow, and muscle my way out to the street without pushing snow. what I wound up doing was raising it up all the way, then got a couple of cement blocks under the blade to keep it jacked up. then I re-adjusted the chain so I could lift it even higher. With the blade finally above the snow, I was able to "bush-whack" my way out to the street. got stuck several times, and had to dig out. (even in 4wheel-low). took several hours to get to the street. Once I got there, and had some bare pavement to start on, I was able to push across the driveway at an angle...back up, push the other way, zig-zagging my way in.
    I've been similarly stuck with a 1-ton truck, working for a contractor, plowing city streets. after a storm was over, we went to start on the schools...they wanted me to go open up a driveway that hadn't been touched during the storm....didn't work. you just can't move that much snow with a truck. only "heavy equipment" is capable. you always have to go with the storm, regardless of the plow. (bigger trucks come w/ bigger plows, and they will reach the limit of their pushing ability just as quickly...you get a few feet, then you just stop, with a wall of snow in front of you.).

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting one of these "personal" plows. sold my old dakota a few years ago, replaced it with a full size ram 1/2 ton, and have been paying someone to do my driveway, because they were so cheap. (not only that, but you're not supposed to put a plow on this model truck, as it is a "quad cab"). well, they do a lousy job. AND, they use gargantuan 3/4 ton trucks w/ 8' plows that dig the driveway up terribly. but I can't complain much, because they're so cheap. (average $300 per year for the last 5 years...just can't justify buying ANY plow, compared to that price). Well...their price keeps going up, and up...and now, these home-owner plows are starting to look more attractive to me. I'm intrigued by the "snowsport" model, too. about the same $$, but no lift. just wondering how well it can stack. OTOH...it looks like it would do minimal damage to my gravel driveway @120lbs, and I have another use for a front receiver. But I understand snow-bear has a receiver mounted model, too. (do you know how heavy the snowbear is?)

decisions, decisions....not alot of posts here from snowsport users. I'd like to hear more user reports. but from yours and other's reports on the SB, I'm sure it would do the job quite nicely.

20. PhantomRacer

from boston

If that snow was wet heavy stuff...I would have been screwed. But it was light..and it works well.

The SB plow certainly has paid for itself several times over...especially this year.

Not sure how much it weighs..250+ maybe. heavy enough to do the job..light enough that an average homeowner can handle it.

take a look at the picture I took. it can make some decent size piles.

I do have to say the biggest improvement was when I went to snow tires. The truck works so much better with snows than with the all seasons or even with all seasons with chains.

For around a grand..it is a bargain. That is, if it fits your needs.

I have seen other small snowplows recently..they look nice (and look far more $$ than the SB). I am sure they work well..

Paul