1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear Forum reactivation?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Goofyexponent, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Ok, I am praying this gets the attention of the moderators. I am not a big user of this site, mainly due to the fact that I won a snowbear plow....and the snowbear forum was shut down.

SNOWBEAR IS BACK IN BUSINESS!! I understand the reason the old snowbear forum was closed was due to snowbear going out of business.

They are opened again, and I for one would like to see the SNOWBEAR PLOW FORUM opened up for us to post again.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

thats not why there is no forum, it's because they are not a sponsor anymore.

3. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

it would be nice to open it again got some nice tips off it for my plow
    but at least we can get parts for them

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Well, you can still dig through the old threads here:
    http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Unless they decide to sponsor again, us Snowbear users will have to work right here in "Non-Commercial Snow Removal (Home Owners, Enthusiasts, Etc.)". No big deal. If you really don't want to be bothered with other brands, you can just do a search for Snowbear, it's a unique term that won't bring up many results that are totally irrelevant.

How about just discussing Snowbear right here in this thread?

So, this is my first year with my Snowbear. Mine's old, was garage-kept (wish I could do the same!), has the Superwinch with a chain instead of a strap. The hitch pins were missing and I was going to make do with some scrounged up bolts but in Ace hardware the other day I found a pair of 3/8" x 2 1/4" PTO lock pins for $2.50. They've got a neato springy retainer thingamabobber. Ace item #7186687, MFR # S070941ZBU, SKU # 00087196879412. I haven't mounted with them yet but I tried them in the plow and in the truck and they seem to be a perfect fit.
    http://www.factoryhardwarestore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7186687
    [​IMG]

The previous owner of my plow took his truck to a local gas station to have the truck mounts removed. They started by cutting the cross bar, but then he stopped them and explained that he wanted them removed without damaging, so they welded it back together. Well, they didn't get it right, it wasn't as wide as it needs to be or the big "pins" (not sure what I'd call them) were not parallel. It almost fit. I had to grind the inside-facing surface until they'd mate with the push frame...burned out the switch on my angle grinder and went ahead and bought another cheap angle grinder to finish the job. The week after I finally finished that job, I acquired a stick welder...I could have cut it and re-welded! Oh well.

The mounts came off a 2002 Chevy/GMC Suburban 1500. According to all logic and written specifications there'd be no reason they wouldn't fit my 2002 GMC Sierra 1500. Well, they almost fit...I had to trim one edge. I was in a major hurry so I cut it with a cutoff wheel. I should have ground it. My cut was awful. Maybe next year I'll build it up with weld and then grind it until it's decent.

I sprayed the mounts and the matching area of my frame with aerosol rubberized asphalt undercoating before putting it all together.

I was worried about leaving my winch out in the weather. I searched and read up on aIl the old threads discussing it that I could find and decided that covering it should be fine. I have a few plastic battery boxen for my boat's trolling motor and my camper.
    [​IMG]
    These are standard boxen you find near the car batteries in Walmart for $12 or so. Upside-down with a small bungee, it is a perfect winch cover.

Eventually I'd prefer to create a quick-release winch system using hitch pins so I can bring the winch indoors with only a few seconds of effort.

5. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

When not in storage, I added some leftover rubber sheeting around the top half of the motor. Helps keep any moisture from seeping- so far, so good.

[​IMG]

6. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

i have a 6yr snowbear plow it was mounted on an s-10 now i have it on a 98 sierra z71
    i used the same type of battery box but bolted it on the back side of the winch mount
    i'll post a picture of it works great

100_0669.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen more snowbears in town then ever before! Must be 30+ guys running around with them,I'm still the only one running(or seen with) the winterwolf pro, since it was only made for the 1 year I'm guessing I won't see many of them. Shame cause they are great! The new snowbear should make them I think.

8. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

here's a few pictures of the cover i put on the winch
    it,s an old plastic battery box i had laying around works great
    i also changed from a strap to achain 100_0722.jpg

100_0721.jpg

100_0722.jpg

100_0721.jpg

9. theholycow

Interesting, I didn't think it would work to permanently mount it, I was just using mine as a storage cover (and I thought I had a novel, original idea! ;)). Did the kitty help? :D

10. crabbybob

crabbybob Junior Member
    from 01440

I've always enjoyed reading snowbear posts.

11. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

the kitty is the boss has to supervise everything
    i bolted the box to the back of the winch mount
    it,s deep enough so nothing hits it and angle lever just misses it
    i haven,t plowed with it yet so will see

12. bradman0087

bradman0087 Member

So does the battery box being mounted work while plowing? Gona have to try that on my strap winch

13. theholycow

Finally got to use my snowbear for the first time. A few thoughts...

1. Stacked and whacked hard against a boulder, thought I likely bent the moldboard. Nope, it survived. Good job tripping and staying un-bent. Also good job stacking in general.

2. When mounting, had a hell of a time getting the second pin in.

3. While I was working, my switch randomly reversed directions. Down was up and up was down. WTF?

4. With the fluffy stuff removed, now everything is now slick as snot. I can barely get up my driveway, and if I try to stop on my driveway I will slide out into the street, sometimes sideways. Hopefully either the sun coming out or my tires freezing/shedding their snow will help.

5. Not being able to power angle is no big deal. I did most of my work with it angled left. I didn't angle it right at all but I will tomorrow.

14. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

battery box worked great
    i,ve got to look at getting a new winch its moving real slow going up
    have to see the good boys at harbor freight
    i,ve had this winch on for 5yrs lasted longer then the snowbear winch
    i would not hesitate to use a plastic battery box if your looking to cover the motor
    i just boltedto the back of the winch mount

15. theholycow

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

16. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

never had that problem
    i still use the window switch
    i mounted it inside the truck ran the wires threw a hole in the firewall
    switch still works good

17. theholycow

18. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plows

i bought mine from snowplowstuff in 2006
    their service was great

19. lalaape413

lalaape413 Junior Member

You went too far in either the in or out direction and now the strap or chain wrapped itself back around the other way. Hold the switch until the plow drops and keep holding it until it goes back up. Don't let off the switch.

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Wrong.
    The reason the section was removed was because the company that made them sent an e-mail asking for it to be removed because of all the bad feedback they got on the forum from other members.