1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowbear for a newbie residential plower?

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by jeffconnell12, Aug 7, 2010.

1. jeffconnell12

jeffconnell12 Junior Member

Hey all, i am just starting my snow plowing business and am wondering whether i should buck up for a 3-4000 dollar plow or save the money and go for a 1200 dollar snowbear? Ill be working out of whistler, BC, plowing probably 2-3 times a week roughly 20 driveways each day of work. What are your thoughts.. the only significant difference i know of is the manual angle on the snowbear, also im considering using a 4x4 ranger xlt so i know ill be need a light plow.. any thoughts? thanks!

2. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

I am a snowbear ownder and im not sure I would want to plow that much with it. It is really light duty. Works great for personal use

3. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

heres some info for you iam a snow bear owner and use it for a few drives

hi i have a snow bear 88" modified with better lights a real cutting edge and heavy duty winch
    i live in connecticut.
    we have about 18 good storms a year at MAX
    i plow 15 places a pop just for side cash
    it works great
    most of the time i just leave it angled
    and it hasnt broken or damage my truck at all
    i recomend getting a real cutting edge..and always have extra parts on you.straps,ect
    i also take a chain and a shackle when driving farther then a few miles because there safety bar lets the plow hng to low
    but for that many i would spend the extra if your going to be plowing 3 times a week for the whole season and you have the money now go for it
    if not your snowbear will be paid off in one storm from what your saying

4. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I have been using my Snowbear for the past 4 seasons and plow 10 or 12 accounts every time i plow. It works well for me. I think with the Ranger it would be worth a try for you. It will pay for itself pretty fast. Good luck and all the best!

5. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

I have a snow bear plow as well, 88 inch some custom stuff to make it stronger like better cutting blade. I plow 10-12 fairly large contracts and i havent had any problems, not bad for the price. I as well needed it to be light becasue i have it on my 1/2 ton dodge. Works great! good luck.

6. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

I have used a snowbear for 6 years now and it wasn't even the steel blade one. It worked great unless you got to much snow, then it would just lift the plow up and high-center the truck, or when you pile it the blade tended to lift to high. I still have this plow as my backup plow, but when I got a F350 i decided to get a Meyer hydraulic (didn't want to get out of cab to angle it :nod: ) So ya it would be a great first plow.

7. TimT67

TimT67 Junior Member

Hey guys, I posted this on a different forum post but noticed it was from about a year ago -oops. Here goes for the second try: I'm brand-new to plowsite.com, I just found you guys while doing a search for snowbear in google. My buddy and I have a landscaping business and we want to get into snow removal also. I've been looking at the Snowbear Snow Plow at this website. Some of the commercial ones from Meyer seem a bit risky for someone just getting into the business, B_Nick and 1982_F350 seem to like it, but others say the Snowbear is too light-weight. Would the 82 in. be too narrow to get the job done? PM me or let me know your thoughts, thanks!

8. machinehog

machinehog Junior Member

The 82" seems fine on my old jeep but Its at the edge of "wide enough" and my wheels and tires only stick out of the fender wells about 2". I also have 3 inches of lift wich angles the plow down a bit but it still rides up on deep snow, if you plow every 8-10" it works great and I am pushing with an 88 wrangler with 4 cyl 5 speed. If your truck is wider than 74" the tires will be in the snow when the blade is angled on the first pass. But for the money its a cheap way to plow a few driveways with a small truck. Lets hear from the guys with the full size trucks and the 88" plow and see what they think.