1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear Flex blade??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BIG DRIFT, Dec 30, 2005.

1. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Does snow bear still make the flex blade. Its not on there web site.

BD

2. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

New Flexblade

They say they no longer make them due to low popularity. Did an Ebay search and found a dealer in Wisconsin (SeeJay Sales), who was able to have one shipped to me, so there was at least one left a couple of weeks ago. Now awaiting the first snow with it, here in SE PA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Sorry... messed up pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

How did it work???

BD

5. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

No...they don't. From what I found there are a few retailers that still have some. If the retailer has the plow shipped directly from factory they can no longer get them. The flexblade was replaced by the "Altitude". It is a steel blade with a lifetime warranty and still uses the electric actuator from what I understand. I am unsure if it mounts using a 2" hitch or the regular snowbear mount. I thought about it when I ordered mine but since my goal in getting one to begin with was to save money I went with the TX75 for about $400 less.

6. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Why dont they have all of this on there website?? I just replace the winch on my sb with a 60 dollar one.

7. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

There's still a few available on Ebay if you search Flexblade. I bought mine from seejay sales in WI, and was 100% pleased with the entire transaction.

Flex uses the actuator (motor driven lift/lower arm) not the winch. going into my 2nd yr with it, and no problems so far. Was a decent addition to my snow removal hardware, after the 18" 2 cycle snowblower. Now that I'm living in Maine, looks like it may get even more use than in PA.

8. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

My winch would freeze up. it was junk. I do like the plow other then that for what i use it for.

9. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Not sure. I had called for pricing on the flexblade and that is what the store told me over the phone. The gal said they had one of the new ones on the way. I haven't seen or heard anything else about it. :confused:

10. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Did you store the plow inside or out? Or did it freeze up during use? Just wondering what to expect with mine.

11. ToyTruck

ToyTruck Junior Member

I'm a little nervous about how strong that single mounting point is. What do you think? It seems to make a lot of sense to have the 2 point mounts for a more solid connection to the truck, like they have on the "standard" SBs

12. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

The two things I didn't like about the flexblade when I was looking: single mounting point and long push frame. I guess you could rationalize that the 2x2 receiver is probably a bit heavier than the standard mount and may actually be stronger but it still seems to me like the plow would easily move left-right when plowing with it angled. I'll leave that to somebody who owns one to answer. My standard SB mount seems quite sturdy...for personal use anyway. I wouldn't want to go plow out Walmart or anything.

13. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

I kept it outside. The plow would freeze over night when the snow melted then got inside the housing.

14. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Oh good...for me, not you. Mine's in the garage...most of the time! :rolleyes:

15. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

It still would have froze. You need to keep a hair dryer handy.

16. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

In my short experience so far with the 2" mount system, have never had movement when pushing. Will let you know more as Maine winter progresses.

17. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

just a couple of things to add on freeze up etc.

I have to store my plow out in the elements.So I got a piece of rubber roof membrane and poked a hole for the angle handle and drape it over the entire plow mech. area.after I'm done. It is on the south side of the garage and the dark gray/black rubber creates a heat sink of sorts, but more importantly it keeps water/ice from forming in the recepticle cups.
    This has worked well for me thought I'd pass the info along....

18. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Thanks dunedog:) The winch i have now is better and the plow will be inside this year;)