1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowbear Cart on Pavement...?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 00 Ram, Dec 30, 2006.

1. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

Ok, just had some paving done at my house a few weeks ago. Had the most treacherous (hill) part of the driveway done...from the house and adjacent parking area, down the hill about 100'. pavement stops where the road levels out and continues on through the woods for another 400 feet or so.

ANyway, its been a warm season so far, so no worries about snow removal. but its time to at least be "ready"...in fact, its snowing now as I type this...although not predicted to amount to much...probably not even "plowable".
    So the plow has been sitting in the back yard all season...time to move it into position on the newly paved parking area. the question: will the cart's wheels sink into the pavement and leave a scar? do I need to put down a couple of "one-by" planks for the wheels to sit on so they don't sink in?
  2. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I would. My drive was paved about 3 years ago now and if I drop the plow on it and I don't put a board under the leg it will sink in some. I use 3/4" plywood cut 1'x1' and put 1 under the leg, 1 under each corner of the blade
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Blacktop pavement isn't quite a solid...its almost more like an ultra thick liquid. You'll notice over time that the spot where you regularly park your cars and trucks will have four indentations where the tires sit. Definitely put boards down under the plow, the broader the better in my opinion so you can deistribute the weight more evenly.
  4. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

yep. well, I see in your profiles that you both have 8' fishers...this is a 7' snowbear. weighs about 1/4 of your plows. The other day, I was wrestling with it trying to get it onto the truck mount, and realized that I lifting the whole thing off the ground wesport
    LOL don't try that w/ a fisher or any other "real" plow. :D
    Thats why I wonder if it would be ok to just let it sit on its cart with its 4 caster wheels.
  5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

^^ Yeah, I hear you there. I use a hydraulic floor jack to lift the frame of my plow when I have to put it on the truck. Too damn heavy...but then thats also part of why it does what it does well.

Even given the significantly lower mass I still wouldn't let it sit on nice new blacktop on those casters. All the weight will be concentrated on those 4 pressure points and you run a significant risk of leaving divots in the driveway.

I don't see it as alot of effort to put boards underneath the casters, so why take the chance?
  6. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

7. CruZer

CruZer Junior Member

I'd just put a piece of plywood under the plow cart. The wheels might sink in to the blacktop if the temps got high enough,but I would think the only time you'd see this is during the summer months.It's not worth taking the cahnce,though.
    I have a Sno Bear to and mine is stored on cement. I'm thinking of changing the front casters on the cart to pivoting wheels because I need a lot of room to roll mine around because the front wheels only roll back and forward.