1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway wings or aftermarket wings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gasjr4wd, Jan 14, 2015.

1. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I was originally going to make a set of wings, duplicating what snoway has for how they mount... slide into the holes. Like just about everything else, I never got around to it.
    Should I bit the bullet and buy the snoway wings? I think they were about $6-700. Yes, NOT cheap. Or, just get the standard aftermarket "Pro Wings" that are $200?
    I'm just not thrilled with drilling a hole in a 1 year old plow. :cry:
    I wouldn't mind spending a little more $ for a much better product but 3-4 times more is just hard to do.
    I can't even find any snoway wings for sale used. Could be one of two reasons. First no one ever got them. Second everyone loves them and will not get rid of them. Yes, I've been looking for about a year for the wings.

2. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I have been very happy with my Snoway wings on my 29HD. I did not want to drill thru the moldboard either.

2 problems:
    1) When the plow trips the cutting edges dig into pavement, I will be replacing the metal with rubber soon.
    2) After you tag a curb or two they do not slide out as advertised unless you use a hammer.

As for them being better than pro wings, I do not know. There are a lot more sets of pro wings out there than Snoway plows with wings. They are built really well and have held up after being abused by myself and other employees. I've seen a lot of pro wings that are heavily damaged and barely hanging on to the moldboard. For this reason, I would definitely buy the Snoway wings again.

3. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

Try using adhuntr.com A quick search for "snoway wings" found a few used plows for sale with wings.. perhaps the sellers would pull them off and sell to you on the side...

4. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

I had a set of the Snoway wings on my 29HD. Pretty good quality, the cutting edge is poly instead of rubber and they are much heavier duty construction than pro-wings. At three times the cost i would still consider getting them vs pro-wings. We have 3 sets of pro-wings on other plows and all of them have been bent, pulled through the skin of the blade, ect. They are easy enough to straighten out and fix but the Snoway ones never broke or bent at all. just keep an eye on the clip that holds them on as the driver had it bounce loose and drove over it putting a big puncture in his tire.

5. FreitagSS

FreitagSS Junior Member

I have two plows with pro wings on them. One of them is even a plow that I mounted to a quick attach plate for my skid steer. The pro wings work great for me and were much easier to purchase than $600 wings! I've had pro wings mounted on each plow for 3 years now and as long as you aren't ramming and jamming them they work great. Mine have never bent and I have hit some pretty good curbs and frozen piles. You can't run curbs like you can with just the plow because the cutting edge is rubber. I feel like if you are bending the pro wings you are running way to hard and are probably bending other things on your truck and plow. It's my personal choice but I can't see spending over 600 for wings when the pro wings work great for only a third of the price. You could buy 3 sets of the pro wings before you pay for one of the brand wings.

6. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

What plows do you run them on? Did you reinforce the mold board at the holes you drilled?

7. FreitagSS

FreitagSS Junior Member

Both are western plows. The western wings were almost $600 and don't add near the width to the plow that the pro wings did. I used all the supplied hardware to mount the pro wings, did not reinforce anything. Haven't had a problem, have only had to replace the rubber cutting edge on them when I replace the plow cutting edge.