1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snoway vs. Snowbear (again)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bryanj23, Nov 22, 2006.

1. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I'm sure fights will start because of this thread, but I am really curious as to what ya'll think. For personal use, by this I mean one driveway 250' lane and a half with turn around, and one driveway that is one car only (width and depth) with yard run-off so two straight pushes and done. Would you buy a Snowbear ($1247 shippped) or a Snoway WITHOUT downpressure ($2650 shipped). The plow would not be used for anything else. Average snowfall here is 3" season lasts about 5 months (shorter in recent years) and I can only remember a few (3-4) storms that produced more than 12" of snow and that was powder not wet stuff.

Try to play nice:waving:

2. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Sorry, "an average snow fall here is 3". The season is about..." just wanted you all to know we get more than 3" of snow per year!

3. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

It simpley comes down to personal preference. If I had the money, I would go with a snoway because it is a fully functional plow, In other words hydraulics move the plow up down left and right. No manuel angling. no in and out of the truck, and higher liftting in some cases. But if money is an issue then the buck stops in your pocket.

4. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

3 inch average...I would try a pushbroom :) Our snow in the Boston area is a lot more than that..and I have no issue with the sbowbear on my 2wd truck. It does the job. It is the only plow I have ever owned..so I can not compare it to anything else. But it does work well.

Paul

5. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

How long have you owned the plow? I guess my thing is, with all the Snowbear bashing that goes on I just want to know if it is in all actuality a plow that will do what it is designed to do...residential drives...NOT commercial use. I just have a hard time trying to justify $3k for how much snow we get...don't get me wrong, we do get some good size storms coming out of Canada, but usually it isn't bad. Last year my mom hired a guy to plow her drive for anything over 6" and he showed up 3 or 4 times the whole year. Even then the snow was light.

6. PhantomRacer

from boston

6 seasons or so.. left outside in the weather 360 days....original winch...chain..no flaws at all...looks new. very well made IMO. Simple system, easy install....

Paul

7. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I'm thinking I'm going to be getting a Snowbear. Simple to install, simple to work on and much cheaper to ship parts since there are very few local shops for any plows. I also don't want to stress my Jeep out too much with a heavy plow. Plus for $1400 less? I tried for the last week or so to find a used plow and all I could find were ones out of state for "pick up only".

I know how those east coast snow storms can get first hand! I lived in Brooklyn a while and was there when the big storm hit over Thanksgiving in 03(04?) that dumped some four feet in two days. I was driving a Honda Accord at the time and if I hadn't known exactly where I had parked it, I would have had to wait for the snow to melt to find it. There wasn't a single spot of metal or glass showing! The whole city was shut down for days...even the trains! What a mess. At least I got out of a few days of school!! Made for a nice long holiday weekend. Talk about a city unprepared! Snow plows on garbage trucks? Wow!

Anyway, looks like I might be a little late. They are predicting snow here next Thur., Fri., and Sat. With the holiday I don't think the plow will be here in time if I order this Friday! I could drive to the dealer an hour and a half west of here, but then I'd pay $50 in tax and $50 in gas and still have to wait for the mount so I think I'll just order it.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I had a Jeep with a sno-way. a very good combo...

If you get the snowbear the Jeep will out-live the plow.

If you get the snow-way it will out live the Jeep.

So, spend a little more and get the snow-way, it could be the last plow you will have to buy.

FRI rain if that lol maybe flurries on Mon.. I think the worm has finally turned..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

try finding a used plow setup .if you decide to sell it you'll get your money back . buy a snow bear youll have to make a lawn ornament out of it. not bashing the snowbear just the facts

john

10. PhantomRacer

from boston

What facts? So far my snowbear is far going to outlast my truck!

It is what it is. It does a good job for what it was designed. Heavy enough to plow...light enough to put on light-duty trucks. Where is the downside.

If snowbear didn't make a plow...I wouldn't have ANY plow..as there is nothing else for a 2wd truck...nevermind for the price of it (about a grand when I got it)

Is it as heavy duty as the other plows? No. It is not. It is not claimed to be either.

It is what it is. It fills a perfect niche market that is otherwise forgotten.

I figure when I sell the truck, the plow will go with it as a bonus...and just buy another plow with my next truck.

Paul

11. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I bought a Snow-Way last year and I love it.

12. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Choice is made

Well, I bit the bullet and bougt a Snowbear. Before I catch any crap here is why. Price...Cheapest thing I have found used that would be shipped was $2700 (western)...Shipping for the Snowbear, Free, need I say more about this?...lastly, thanks to all your feedback on my posts I think it will work just fine for me. I'm not going into business, I'm not plowing the whole neighborhood (don't have time to even if I wanted to), and I'm more afraid of damaging my daily driver than the plow, in fact I would rather wreck the plow than my Jeep as I can't afford to fix a tweaked frame at this point and definitely can't afford a new vehicle. I would have loved to have found a good deal on a Snoway, there just aren't any around here and I couldn't find anybody that would ship theirs. Oh well...we'll see how it goes! Thanks again for everyone's input regardless of opinion. Believe me, I heavily weighed all of your comments before making my decision. I'll try to post some pics and let you know how it goes!

13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I started with a snobear.Hated it from the day I had it on the truck.But I guess if you are only doing your driveway you should be fine.I would of personally got a snoway and did some extra plowing to help pay for it.I am a snobear basher to this day:D

Snoway all the way love em
    RCGM
    Brad

14. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Good for you

I looked hard and long for a used Snoway plow. Couldn't find one, don't have ANY time to be plowing anybody else's driveway. I already work 50-60 hours per week and am on call. I have one day off per week. It is dark out when I leave for work and dark out when I get home. I have two kids and another on the way. When I'm not working I want to be at home. Just don't want to spend hours this winter shoveling or snowblowing.

15. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

How did it work bryan. Do you have the pics??

16. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

No pics as of yet. Still waiting for some snow!! We have only managed approximately 1 - 2 inches since I got it on. By the way install was quite simple, some minor mods were needed but nothing serious. I also decided to toss out the ******** switch they send with the thing and go with a little nicer one. I'll get pics of that too, but it mounted really nicely to my 4x4 lever. Once the transfer case is in 4x4 the switch is perfectly straight atop it and just to the left of my shifter. The plow itself seems just fine to me. Obviously is not as beefy as a regular plow, but when lifted the front end sags about an inch or two. Jeep drives nicely with it attached and the blade just barely clears my headlights when up so I think I'll be ok. When we get snow, I'll post pics.

17. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Couldn't get the edit button to work, meant to say I think I'll be ok without a light kit.

18. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Cool:waving:

19. topcat

topcat Junior Member
    from WNY

Bryanj23 - can you post pictures of the replacement switch you used with our Snowbear install. Thanks

20. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Sure will, I'll try to get on that tonight...no promises though. If not tonight look for them by this weekend. The second half of my week tends to be less hectic than the first.